So tired of worrying

Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So tired of worrying

Well my AD just came out of detox. How do you not worry about what they are doing? I'm so tired of worrying all the time. Taking more anxiety meds. I almost felt more relief when she was in detox. I know that probably sounds bad, but I'm just tired.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It doesn't sound bad to worry/care for your daughter; it's only bad that it affects your health and mental well being. I was able to stop worrying so much about my now recovering AH, but maybe its a little different when it's your child, I don't know. I'm so sorry for what you're going thru. What are you doing to help yourself besides taking meds? Alanon? Therapy? Celebrate Recovery? At some point you will have to let go and allow your AD to make choices for herself even if you don't agree with them. I have a 20 year old in college and have had to do that with him too...no addiction involved, but there are still "things" out there I wish I could help him avoid or help him make decisions about, but I can't do that for him or he will never mature into a man. I can't do that for my AH either.
big hugs...I hope things get better for you; I hope you change your focus to yourself and your healing. Also, I see where your from and I don't live that far from you!
Old 06-18-2014, 07:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wish there were a magic key to turn off the worry. I agree that Celebrate Recovery or some sort of support group makes a big difference. Also counseling with a therapist that specializes in dealing with addiction helped me immensely.

We are here for you. Any chance there will be a follow up with actual rehab? There is a big difference between detox and recovery.

Hugs.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know how any parent can truly ever stop worrying about their child, especially under such trying circumstances. Normally my advice would be to work towards true acceptance of your situation and turning over your AD to her Higher Power, but I feel that falls flat here. Instead I will just say do your best to take care of yourself and be gentle with yourself. Don't judge what you feel -- they're just feelings. You're entitled to your own and you can't help them anyway. Sending you strength and patience.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

She has been to rehab twice. And I have thought about Al-anon and all that. It's hard..because she was to goes to AA at night..I take care of her son. He is 9 months old. That's the hardest part about all this. I think at some point if it was just her..I would worry, but I make her move out..and deal with her stuff. But I can't let that baby go. I'm not ready to raise another one..I want her to step up and do it.

I thought Celebrate Recovery was the addict?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Call celebrate recovery. I thought the same thing, but not so, its for both, and really its for anyone that knows they aren't perfect.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought that about Celebrate Recovery too. Nope, it is also support for codependency and anyone who has any hurt, habit, or hangup in their life. Ours has free babysitting and a free meal ahead of time also.

I credit CR with getting through the hardest part of my life. My Xhusband was in the throes of addiction and I did not know where to turn. CR saved me. I am now leadership there and it is truly a wonderful program.

I hope you check it out. It's possible you could all go together. You would not end up in the same small group as your daughter, but that's a good thing. Our CR has several parent/children/grandchildren who come together.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I thought that about Celebrate Recovery too. Nope, it is also support for codependency and anyone who has any hurt, habit, or hangup in their life. Ours has free babysitting and a free meal ahead of time also.

I credit CR with getting through the hardest part of my life. My Xhusband was in the throes of addiction and I did not know where to turn. CR saved me. I am now leadership there and it is truly a wonderful program.

I hope you check it out. It's possible you could all go together. You would not end up in the same small group as your daughter, but that's a good thing. Our CR has several parent/children/grandchildren who come together.
VERY Grateful to you for the good report, as well.

When I do the twice a month "Family Day" at the local rehab, I tell them I have friends in CR (like you) who think it is wonderful.