muscle wasting and concerns

Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

muscle wasting and concerns

An A relative of mine recently went swimming with our family. In her bathing
Suit I noticed her legs were very thin and the skin was hanging off her arms and legs. She is 58 and they look 70+ years.
Ive been reading about late stage and kind of confused. She is able to work, take care of her mom, and drive. I know she drinks a lot and often. But denial is a sneaky enemy. She has requested to baby sit and have time alone with our daughter.
As far as I am aware she has not driven while drinking. She does have 'glossy' eyes but I haven't noticed drinking so maybe that's age. I guess I'm confused and seeking clarity.
What I know for sure is she drinks a lone about a case or so a night at her house and has high cholesterol. We have said no way to baby sitting and I'm in Ala non. I guess I'm curious if she is drinking outside of her at home bindging.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i guess im wondering if others have seen muscle wasting? and what have they noticed?
Old 06-15-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, timeagain--welcome to SR, and glad you found us here. I'm sorry to hear about your relative. I think you're absolutely right to say no to the babysitting and time alone w/your girl. I'm also glad to hear you're involved with Alanon and hope you find a lot of support there.

A quick Google search tells me that muscle wasting can indeed be a symptom of alcoholism, but it sounds as if you already know that she is an A, so I'm not sure exactly what further information you're looking for. Hopefully someone will be along who can address that for you.

Again, welcome!