ramble on

Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ramble on

So I'm trying to stick with my goal of moving out of ABF's house by the beginning of September. I am having some conflicts though. Other than my own war going on in my head about going through with it or not, I can't seem to find a pro-bono or affordable lawyer. I don't need anything else right now from them other than advice, and no one will respond to my inquiries. Its frustrating.

Its making me feel like my situation isn't worth it. I know it is for the most part. But I keep questioning myself. Is it really that bad? Am I just being selfish? I'm questioning normal, is his drinking 2-6packs a night okay since he's not drinking hard alcohol?

Am I being selfish for wanting to do something for myself, even if its not exactly what he would want me to do? Am I harming my daughter by breaking her family apart or am I helping her?

I need to ask my HP. I'm having a hard time finding the right path I'm supposed to be on, I keep praying for a sign but I think I'm asking for the wrong things.

Sorry about the somewhat ramble....Its in the high 80's in my office...someone stole our air units to the building....
Old 06-11-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Blossom, I've been where you are, asking myself "is it really that bad?" I didn't even know he'd been drinking secretly for years...he had a job, didn't abuse me--was it really a problem?

Well, he wasn't overtly drunk, no, but he surely wasn't present for daily life. He'd never remember anything we talked about and just wasn't there. Once I'd found out about the drinking, lying, taking money from our savings and so on, he started downhill fast. This was not the person I wanted to spend my life with, especially if this was the best it would ever be.

It's a tough spot. On the one hand, folks here will tell you that if you're not sure what to do, then waiting is best until you are sure. On the other hand, you'll also hear that if you keep on putting up w/things that are unacceptable, your definition of "unacceptable" will keep getting moved farther and farther down the scale, and that you'll always be waiting for something "bad enough" to happen so you can leave him. Both are true.

Talking to your HP is a good idea; talking to a sponsor or Alanon group would likely help too. Posting here at SR is of course a good idea also.

I hope you find some clarity and some peace.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Blossom,

I pray for an answer to that question too. Instead of an answer I felt compelled to do the steps. So in a year I made it to 4. In my heart I feel I know I will know how to proceed when I make my amends to my RAH. My sponsor agrees with this approach and has been very patient as some days I am pouring out awful memories of my marriage and the next I realize I pushed away his love because I didn't feel I deserved it. Self discovery, figuring out my faults and how I fell into this relationship THEN stayed is criticAl for me. If I do leave, I want to be sure I have learned enough to not fall in with another Addict.

But I do have a boundary in place - relapse = done. I have seen others here bend that. But for me, I gave alcohol too much room on the front end of my marriage. It gets zero clearance on the battered side. I am fearful I will bend too, but I have promised myself I am not going back. Working the steps has helped me put myself and weigh myself more equally in relationships.

Your A is still active. You have every right to put some distance between you and the A. My H drank beer too. He played all kinds of games with himself with how he bought it, how large the containers were, what brand, % alcohol! etc. And since I was not a counter or much of a nagger, he didn't do this charade for me. He was snowing himself. My H would buy a case - so that was 15? In no time he would drive drunk up the street to get another case. So it was easy to maintain 18 or so a night? And I heard all the arguments "it's just beer." "At least I am home". "It's good for you." "It's mostly water." "Everyone I know does this to relax." Whatever. I didn't argue. Hopeless to argue with an A in love with his drink of choice.

Think through your thought process and see if you are valuing yourself equally to all the other players in this equation. And if you can't think straight, go for a separation to get some mental clarity.

Peace and wisdom to you,
Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

Even if you stick with the plan to move out in september, it does not mean that you can't move back in a year down the road, if he decides to straighten up.

It's not set in stone, you can always go back if things change. Or, you may move out and get mad at yourself that you didn't do it sooner!

You never know, but nothing changes if nothing changes.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A 12 pack a night is definitely alcoholic drinking. That is the same as having 12 whiskey and cokes.

The advice on this thread is golden and I cannot add to it. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Blossom, I've been where you are, asking myself "is it really that bad?" I didn't even know he'd been drinking secretly for years...he had a job, didn't abuse me--was it really a problem?

Well, he wasn't overtly drunk, no, but he surely wasn't present for daily life. He'd never remember anything we talked about and just wasn't there. Once I'd found out about the drinking, lying, taking money from our savings and so on, he started downhill fast. This was not the person I wanted to spend my life with, especially if this was the best it would ever be.
Thats pretty much my situation. He has a job, it doesn't feel like its overly apparent to everyone else but I think part of that is just in my head. I think more people are aware of it than I'd like to admit.

He doesn't remember any of the conversations we have. At first that hurt me the most, the heart to hearts at night and then the next morning it being as if they never happened. I don't want to spend my life with someone like this either.

In2pieces, you are right. Even if I leave and he turns it around for the better because of that, and wants to work it out then we could. And I think you are spot on when you say I will leave and be mad at myself for not leaving sooner. I can see that happening before the other scenario!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Blossom717 View Post
I can't seem to find a pro-bono or affordable lawyer. I don't need anything else right now from them other than advice, and no one will respond to my inquiries. Its frustrating.
Are you approaching actual law practices? If so, try your state Lawyer Association instead. They can have free resources to you if it's just advice you need.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The couny that I live in offers workshops that will offer guidance and attorney services about every six weeks or so. A good strategy might be to continue with your plans for September, while gathering divrce info from a municipal entity. You can pursue the divorce after you leave.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Refiner - I've approached actual firms as well as the legal aid society in my region. They aren't accepting any new people/referrals.

Yurt- I'm going to continue with my plans, but its a little frustrating! We aren't married so I don't need a divorce, just information on custody rights.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

If you go talk to the people at the courthouse when you fill out the paperwork, they might be able to have someone to refer you to. Or, if you file for child support, they have a lawyer that would definitely give you some information.

Chances are, you have to do it yourself, but in my state there is legal aid which would help you fill out the paperwork and file motions and all that stuff. They just don't go to court with you. But either child support or equity would know where they are located.