Do they mean what they say?

Old 06-12-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Andrea, I think that makes utter and complete sense. I've spent a lifetime trying to understand people's motives, and taught my kids the same thing -- why is the bully a bully? because hurt people hurt people -- but now in my middle age, I'm thinking more along the lines of LaTeeDa's quote in my signature.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
When a person is drunk do they mean what they say? Do they realize what the words mean and the anger and emotion they express? Hubby says he does not mean what he says or claims not to remember after the fact. I don't know what to believe. Sometimes he says bad things about me. Normally when he is not drunk, he isn't like that. How do I know if he means what he says when he is drunk? I am so confused. I don't know what to think as these behaviors are new.

I am not sure how to respond to him when he is drunk and wants to talk. He speech is so slurred that I have a hard time understanding. His thoughts are incomplete or not expressed properly and I don't want to try to listen. It's too exhausting to try to understand what he is trying to say.

The other day someone broke into hubby's truck. After the police came he got drunk. A neighbor showed him photos of the people who broke in to the truck. Then he took himself for a walk with his gun. He said in a slurred words, I don't remember the exact words that he found the people who did it. He threatened to hurt them if they ever did anything again. It shocked me that he would behave in such a manner.

I feel like he is developing mental illness to go along with the alcoholism. Ideas please.
Get out NOW
A drunk with a gun?
RUN
Old 06-13-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have had trouble understanding emotion-driven people, as opposed to rational people. But hardly , with time, I learned these emotional people are not saying what they say, but how they feel and I am not to attach myself to their words but translate them into feelings about the topic they speak about.

Hard and time consuming lesson