Do you comfront the behavior of the alcoholic

Old 06-09-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

When he calls and tries to pin things on me.... his behaviors on me, I am trying to figure out how to put the ball back in his court.

hang up.

seriously, there is no good reason for you to listen to a bunch of smarmy blameshifting BS from anyone. especially when you have the ability to END the conversation. he's a bitter drunk now....THAT is who he is, that is who he choose to become. and you are simply one more target.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

grammatical clarification: who he CHOSE to become....
Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hello, I am new here but I identify with a little of what your saying. I am learning that he lies to everyone, people at AA, his sister, everyone. They are expert liars.
And if he tells you they said something it may be only partly true,or out of context. But it doesnt matter what they think.
Its what is acceptable to you.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There is nothing you can say which will have any impact.

If he,s calling you and saying these things tell him you are getting off the phone and hang up. That will have more impact than anything you can say.

Originally Posted by WendyOR View Post
When he calls and tries to pin things on me.... his behaviors on me, I am trying to figure out how to put the ball back in his court. Each time I go to him in a loving and caring manner, he retracts. Do I just ignore it? Do I tell him his real love is the bottle? Do I tell him the way the real way he makes me feel when he says really hurtful things. For him, it is now usually when he is sober... when he is drinking he is soft and gentle. It is his mind when he is sober that is so mean and hurtful. I go through many scenarios in my mind over and over, to let him know how this has been so mean to me.

I am really upset with his sister as well. She counsels people through AA. She keeps telling him, he isn't that bad... nowhere near what she had been. Why is nobody but me really concerned about this? Not his friends... not his family.... I just sit and wonder. I pray. I pray and pray. I know I can't change this. I just need to find the wisdom how to confront how he makes me feel when he says things. I think... I don't want to rock the boat... and my real fear isn't him leaving, it is thinking he will drink more. That is my real fear.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

my real fear isn't him leaving, it is thinking he will drink more. That is my real fear
We're powerless over other people, there is nothing you can do or say that will affect an alcoholic's drinking. Try to put the focus on yourself ... is this what you want in your life? Alanon was a lifesaver for me and I strongly recommend it.