Overbearing Sponsor

Old 07-07-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

"By the way, sarcasm is very passive-aggressive, and not conducive to a healthy relationship with anyone, ever!"

A big Amen to that!
Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luri View Post
This is how I started my program, but since moving to this new area I've come to see that the program is different here. It's a weird, sponsor-centric program...with grandsponsors.

I hate it. They bully you into service and when you don't take it you are "talked to" but all the old timers(they are treated like gurus). It's a difficult area - its either way intense "cult" like or very loose meetings with very little recovery.

Thank you all for responding it helps a lot.
Sounds like the meetings are full of (surprise) raging codependents :-)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Agreed

I identify with the original post. I have a sponsor who is great- he is experienced, knowledgeable, etc. But it's every single day, maybe multiple times a day, when he will reach out to the point where it's like being under observation. I am good with learning how to be more self-less and controlling myself, but he seems to be exhibiting complete desire to control me and micro-manage. I see a lot of AAs whose lives revolve around the big book, recovery, and meetings. I understand the importance of recovery being a primary focus for me moving forward. I just have a life outside of AA and I choose to be a part of the life around me and will include recovery in everything I do. Just frustrating to me when you have these principles in the program contorted into "you will do this or else.." by personalities.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily1918 View Post
I'm gunna throw a grenade out here and say this:

be careful who you choose as a sponsor. This is a program for codependency right!? well... a sponsor who is controlling, argumentative, or constantly trying to "fix" you probably doesn't have as much recovery as you might think...
I was thinkin something along the lines as you.
Imagine finding a practicing Codie at an alanon meeting.
imagine finding a practicing alcoholic at an AA meeting.
Not only that, it's easy to talk the talk inside a meeting. The rubber hits the road outside and many times a different persona comes out.

When was time for a new sponsor( in AA ) I prayed on it and he appeared.