what exactly does "it's a progressive disease" mean???

Old 06-22-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My RASTBexH was a sweet guy. We were in love.
His family has the bad alcohol gene, but I did not know that. He didn't know to what degree.
He was going through what I thought was the normal college, then post college drinking.
But, then...when everyone else sort of settled down and got into real life, he did not.
He stayed out all the time, partying, partying.

I think one of the biggest signs that alcohol has progressed past a bad point is when it is not really that fun for the person anymore.
It got like this for him, then for me, and then for his family, having to deal with him.

It started to be that everytime he drank, there was a noticeable point at which the drunk would 'turn'. For some people this turn is about blacking out, or even passing out. FOr others it can be the point where they go from having a few drinks or beers to becoming mean, saying ugly things.

The progression for him was not that slow, and the turn started to happen, then did not stop. He no longer was ever drinking for 'fun' or for an occassion, but because he needed it, and every day was the occassion.
He was in denial, then became resigned and was plain and forceful about his need for the drug.
I don't know anyone who was a problem drinker, who started to daily or several day a week drink who did not progress into an unmanageable state.
Many keep jobs, and many remain functional, but their inner lives and their family lives become stunted or strained. They are now under the influence EVEN when not physically drunk, because everything is about the need.
ANd there is no discrimination, either, meaning my AH and his uncles are your obviously mean drunks, but my sister was a teacher, nurse, and all around pillar of her community. She started to drink for fun, then relaxation, then it became need, and it also became a secret.
She went from having drinks at happy hour with the gang to chugging beers in the morning before wrok, to stay steady.

She is sober 4 years, and she still struggles.
There is also brain damage, or wet brain that can occur. Each time a person blacks out or loses time, their brain is actually deprived of oxygen to a certain degree. It is not lethal, but enough to stunt the memory mechanism.

It's actually pretty scary stuff.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OhBoy View Post
Alcoholism is progressive, It will progress until something ends it. There are two choices, recovery or death. I'm sure there are exceptions, but dyed in the wool alcoholism is limited to those two outcomes. The timing could be next week or 20 years from now, everyone is different.
In AA we say there are three: jails, institutions, or death, if one does not seek/get recovery. But otherwise you are right on the money.

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
Progressive means that it will take more to achieve the same results. I'm an alcoholic. Over time, the quantity increases.
I am an alkie, too-- and I was just talking about this today! You know how sometimes the tolerance goes down? After years of drinking X amount, all of a sudden you can't drink as much. Here is a scary thought: I heard it is because we are carrying around a constant blood alcohol level. Which is why it takes less, because we're just "topping it off" now.

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
"It's progressive" means it is going to get worse. The signs, symptoms, and results of the alcoholism are going to worsen. The disease of alcoholism cannot be cured; it can only be halted and only by the person who has the disease. Alcoholism progresses in stages. You can google "stages of alcoholism" or "stages of addiction" for more information.
This.

Progressive means just that: that the disease keeps on progressing, or getting worse, whether or not the alkie is in recovery. Scary or what? In my meeting they say that while we are in here recovering, our disease is out in the parking lot doing push-ups. Waiting.

I have it, and I have nearly 18 years of sobriety, and this still just scares the poop out of me.

Does that help?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is a great thread. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
has left the building :)

It means the sooner you get away from it, the better.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Progression is one of those things I haven't seen in 20 years of drinking, is that normal?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by buntzhouse View Post
Progression is one of those things I haven't seen in 20 years of drinking, is that normal?
Bunt house.

Welcome to the friends and family section. Do you have friends or family who's drinking affects you negatively? If so this is a good place to share.

I read your previous posts in the alcoholics section. Seems you still drink daily, are having stomach problems, you feel that you look like you are aging prematurely, and in that post you wrote that your so didn't want to talk to you because you looked older. You also don't seem to feel the need to ever stop drinking.

If you can't see progression in yourself, look at the way it has affected others here or in your real life.

And in this friends and family section, you might find it's best to discuss your relationships that you have with others and leave your personal struggle with the alcohol to the sections you posted in previously.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ConeyIslandHigh View Post
It means the sooner you get away from it, the better.
Absolutely!

The earlier in the disease that it is arrested the better the potential outcome... sadly most young alcoholics are in such deep denial that it takes the long progression before they reach out for help.