I wrote a poem

Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I wrote a poem

I have been really into poetry slams lately. YouTube Andrea Gibson, she's amazing. Not sure if this belongs here, but I was inspired:

As I walk back to our apartment I feel anxiety building skyscrapers so high they cast shadows like storm clouds. I wonder if the raindrops are actually tears, and the thunder my heart.

You didn't answer your phone when I called you 23 times in the 40 minutes it takes to get from work to the welcome mat.

My fingers fumble for the keys. I slowly open the door. You are lifeless on the couch. The cat says hi to me and I hug her too tightly. Her vibrations not calming my nerves this time.

I apprehensively tiptoe towards you. I see your chest rise and fall as my own lungs start to work again. Your hair is greasy. Your clothes splattered with vomit. I stand there feeling nothing like a skyscraper. I am a speck of dust in the air. You suck me in and spit me out as your stomach lurches into the toilet. I cover my ears, turn up the television, pray to a God I don't believe in to temporarily make me deaf until you collapse on the bed calling my name.

I pick up the pieces of my heart and make the journey to our bedroom. To the place where your fist kissed the wall and you made my eyes see stars. To the place where making love is a reminder of having our child sucked out of my womb.

I stand in the doorway. A noise bubbles up from the deepest, darkest depths of your soul. You sob into the pillow. I'm so sorry, you say. Another broken record. Crackle. Repeat.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wrenching to read, meggygoround, but clearly right from your soul...
Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow, that is very powerful. The imagery is vivid and I honestly got goosebumps while reading it. Thanks for sharing it with us. xoxoxo
Old 05-21-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done meggy, you really nailed it.