Life with Recovering qualifier

Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Smile Life with Recovering qualifier

I thought that a sober alcoholic/addict (qualifier) would be easy. My qualifier is my 63 year old sibling who lives with my family now for 5 years.

She was 58 when she realized she had been an RX junkie and functional Alcoholic. She realized this because my house rules are simple, sober or out.

Can you Imagine her shock after.two weeks here and she could not stop? She asked for help, we gave it she got sober. What I did not realize is that I had invited a disease I to my home. Highly contagious, slow moving called co-dependence. Being sober is only the beginning of their battle. Facing the world sober is something else. Isolating, condemning themselves, waiting for judgment from loved ones, taking responsibility for today,letting go of past failures is just a small part of what they work at over overcoming.

So letting go (detaching) in love to their to do list, is the only way to help them to heal themselves, to strengthen themselves.

Meanwhile, I have begun to let go,.work on myself, life is not perfect, but peace has returned to me and courage has developed in my qualifier who now accepts responsibility for new things each day.

I am sure I will be posting more on this. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Firefall. I look forward to hearing more from you--thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
K9 Trainer, Ret. Sys Engr

Yesterday, was a day of isolating for my qualifier. I did what I am learning to do. Nothing.
No wondering, no solving the unknown, lots of laughter with my husband, getting a hair cut, walking with my dog. It was a good day.

My qualifier is dealing with something and when she is ready and if she needs to share she will. So I get to practice being ok with that and today I am succeeding.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good for you for enjoying your day, Firefall! Brava!