Progress today

Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
fbw

Progress today

Today I made progress in respecting other peoples boundaries.

My AH fell asleep mid conversation. He had stated he was tired before the conversation started - tried to engage and then fell asleep in his chair.

I have to remind myself that no part of that conversation would have occurred if he was still drinking.

I felt hurt and sad that the conversation ended prematurely. I did not wake him up and force him to keep talking. Instead I said goodnight. He woke up a bit apologized and said he was wrecked and went to bed.

I went to my bed ( we are currently sleeping in separate rooms due to our son not sleeping the night - so we shift the night )

This is new for me - normally I would be insulted and hurt and punish him for falling asleep. I would shamed him and guilt him into continueing a conversation he clearly A) Did not wish to have or B) Could not have.

the actually conversation would get lost in some battle of : you are not paying attention or listening.

----------------
It is hard to accept that it is possible he just does not want to have the conversation. It does feel good to know that I showed respect even when it was not convientant or easy for me to do so.

thanks for listening.