Courage To Change 05/15/14

Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 05/15/14

When I first came to Al-Anon, I was leery about all the hugs I saw exchanged. I would scurry out the door after a meeting to avoid them. I couldn’t imagine why all those seemingly respectable people were behaving this way. There had been no such displays of affection in my
childhood, and none in my adult home, either. The only kinds of touch I knew were negative. The people in Al-Anon were patient with me even
though I refused their hugs. They invited me to keep coming back. They respected my boundaries and didn’t judge or question my need for space. Individual members sat with me as I cried and rejoiced when I laughed.
Complete strangers offered their experience, strength, and hope to me as if I were an intimate friend. In this safe and nurturing atmosphere, I have come to appreciate that there are many different expressions of unconditional love. Whether or not I express affection in a physical way, I can find reassurance, comfort, and strength whenever Al-Anon members offer me their support. Today I am finding ways to express my love for
others as well.

Today’s Reminder
I will not let old fears keep me away from the support that is available to me. I am worthy of love and respect.

“Love is not consolation, it is light.”
Simone Weil