Did not engage.....

Old 05-14-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did not engage.....

Ok, so I am feeling proud of myself today.

My XAH comes over in the mornings to pick up my older DD. This has been working out and we have been getting along pretty well the past couple of weeks.

This morning he was a little early he had to get some stuff from the garage. All that was just fine. He just had his tattoo covered with something else. All good and fine, I don't care. So, he tells me he saw a mutual friend of ours last night who asked to see it and then asked what his wife thinks about it. He told her that I left him.

It really ticked me off. No, I did not leave you. You are an alcoholic that pushed me too far and I kicked you out. However, I kept my cool and just said, "I wish you would not say it quite that way." He said, "Why, it's the truth." I did not engage at all. I just said, "If that's how you need to see it, ok." I then walked back upstairs and went on about my business.

So...I am really proud of myself today. That was hard for me. Before all my self work I would have ranted and raved about how he caused all of this...blah...blah...blah. Now, I just went on and did not let it get under my skin. I proved to myself and hopefully to him too that no matter how hard he tries, I am not going to fall for the manipulation.

So..that's all. I have not shared this with anyone because it seems silly, like such a small thing. However, I knew you fine friends would understand how hard that really is.

Thanks for letting me get this out! It's important to track the good, not just the bad!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

HUGE! I totally get how hard that was to say nothing more than you did. Good for you!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go!!!! xoxox
Old 05-14-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay! That's a victory. Takes sooooo much strength to not say.anything, don't engage. You did great.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

......am smiling here! I know how difficult it is to go against the first impulse to react.

congrats!!!!!! here's what many "normies" don't get.....if we DO react in our old way, we begin to lose our control and could spiral right back into that black hole.

so you are so right.....others just don't quite understand the brakes we have to put on our minds and tongues.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job. You are on the uphill.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That was hard for me. Before all my self work I would have ranted and raved about how he caused all of this...blah...blah...blah. Now, I just went on and did not let it get under my skin. I proved to myself and hopefully to him too that no matter how hard he tries, I am not going to fall for the manipulation.
YES! A big turning point for me was realizing that I didn't always have to argue when someone had a different perspective from me, especially when it was a situation of great importance to me. He may see things differently from you, but you stand confident in your truth. That's what's important.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pia

Wow what an exciting story/experience. I wish I would of read this before I spoke to my AH
Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome, AWESOME work!!! You SHOULD be very proud of yourself! That was not a small thing either.....that was a big 'un! YAY for you!!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, i knew you would get it!

XXX
Old 05-14-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow. That is HUGE!!! Thank you so much for sharing this!!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's awesome, hopeful!! You handled that perfectly
Old 05-15-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Progress! I still find it hard not to engage with the quacking. Great job!!
Old 05-15-2014, 05:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great Job not engaging!!

My STBXAH said the sme thing. I overheard him on the phone telling his friend that he just found out that his wife of 13 years was leaving him and what a kick in the gut it was. I chose not to engage too. It's their delusional mind and failure to take any responsibility for what the true issues really are
Old 05-15-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Be very proud of yourself Hopeful!

I struggle with engaging with my xabf when it comes to situations like this.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes! Great job! Whenever I feel the urge to defend or get caught up in one of his crazy making conversations I ask myself the Al Anon slogan: How important is it? and then I remind myself that I don't have to always be right or prove that I'm right.

FYI: that kind of stuff drives my AH crazy because he wants a fight, it's the only way he gets to communicate effectively for HIM and he likes to manipulate and control the argument. When I remove myself from those 'talks', it frustrates him so in the end I come out winning even though I wasn't really trying to win, I was just trying to protect myself from the roller coaster ride.