White Wine Vinegar

Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

White Wine Vinegar

I'm about to make a salad and my salad dressing has white wine vinegar in it...can my recovering alcoholic husband have that? He's already requested that I buy only alcohol free mouth wash and I've already hidden my good vanilla extract after already hearing relapse stories resulting from that. But I'm wondering what is okay and what isn't...will a salad dressing with white wine vinegar in it set off a chain reaction? I can use something else but if this one is okay I'd like to use it.

Between my youngest being allergic to dairy and hubs not being able to have anything with alcohol I'm really missing some yummy foods from MY diet...
Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've never had problems with white wine vinegar.

I usually look to see if something's halal if I'm not sure - I'm not a Muslim but they seem to be strict enough for an alcoholic like me

I just googled and it is halal - it's made by bacterial activity that converts fermented liquids such as wine, beer or cider into a weak solution of acetic acid.

Of course, ultimately, it's really down to what you feel comfortable with

D
Old 05-06-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cool, thanks! I'll use Halal as a guide moving forward.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always worked for me.

And before anyone jumps in - different varieties may vary...there may sometimes be trace elements left, but like I said, I've never been triggered or affected by white wine vinegar.

D
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What about mouthwash then?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love cooking with wine, but when I was with my ex I switched that out with broth. It always worked to my memory. White Balsamic vinegar is pretty good too for a vinegar sub. Crest Pro Health mouthwash has no alcohol for the person who asked.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
What about mouthwash then?
A lot of mouthwashes contain alcohol.

Alcohol was the historical go to medium for killing germs.

These days that's no longer the case.

There are lots of non alcoholic alternatives available now that don't burn, dry your mouth out or affect dental work.

D
Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Considering RAH 2nd relapse after a very small amount of ethanol involved on a daily basis, by not realizing it was there, we're both more aware of this issue for him.

I stopped using wine vinegars a long time ago. Vanilla extract is gone too. I recently acquired the wonderful habit of buying fresh vanilla beans. mmmmm....

Sports rubs are out. Castor oil with essential oils added instead.

Most people probably don't need to be this diligent about it, but I do know several RA who are. One lady I've known most of my life is RA and so is her husband (she has an XAH) -- she doesn't eat anything that has a trace of alcohol. If a cake is made with vanilla or almond extract she'll pass. Some say it's non-existent and baked out, but she knows herself well. I respect the fact that she takes care of her recovery the way she needs to.

I would venture most people won't react to one small exposure, but when you stop being diligent about it, all the little daily exposures can start adding up fast.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to be considerate without having to ask him what he can or cannot have - even though I ultimately did ask him and he said he didn't know if he could or not. I'm not trying to alter my life TOO much because I don't think that's healthy (like hiding my baking extracts) but I don't need to sabotage him either. It's a fine line. There is no alcohol in our home for now, even though I would like the occasional glass of wine on a Friday or Saturday night. And a huge chunk of brie. Nom nom nom…
Old 05-06-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am an alcoholic and I have it, no problem for me and no cravings. I use non alcoholic mouthwash though (for references)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

dressing on the side.....
Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Crest Pro Health info Miss Fixit.

Stung, I applaud you for being so generous of spirit in your husbands quest for sobriety!

I used to use always use wine or bier in my cooking and in baking bread. During my first month of sobriety my husband who is a wonderful cook used beer in a recipe and I never realized how much the taste was there until I quit drinking. It wasn't so much the scant bit of alcohol but the taste that scared me. We are more inventive now in our choices.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a question and ignore my ignorance please. If you cook with alcohol I thought that the alcohol burned off. That would still affect the alcoholic? Just curious.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

technically it burns off, but the taste is still there to some.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Gotcha. I guess when I boiled brats in beer before I grilled them or added red or white wine to a particular dish I never tasted it. Just figured it was that subtle. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm very sensitive to many foods including sugar, rice, soy, processed dairy, wheat, oats, corn and more. Just a tiny bit can trigger a reaction. It used to be that some days I was okay with them, some days I wasn't. As a teenager it was crazy trying to figure out what was going on. Now it's severe enough that foods I can't have can trigger me by skin contact. Brain fog, irritability, anxiety, inflammation, etc. The body isn't a balance sheet, it's more like an always changing chemistry experiment.

I can understand where most recovering alcoholics would be fine with a tiny bit of alcohol contact, yet some others react negatively to any contact at all. YMMV. From experience with my food issues and the same problem that our kids have, I choose to err on the side of caution for recovering alcoholics.

I understand where many don't need to be so strict. If relapse becomes an issue it may be wise to be considered.

Alcohol doesn't really cook out of food in most cases
...You might think from this that if you cooked the thing long enough, eventually the alcohol will all get cooked out. From a practical standpoint, this is more or less true. But if you are ever cooking for or are a recovering alcoholic, you’ll want to know, it’s not really true. There will always be some alcohol remaining as long as there is still any kind of moisture in whatever you are cooking. The reason behind this is that the alcohol binds with water and forms an azeotrope (mixture of two or more compounds where the ratio cannot be changed by simple distillation). So as you boil the azeotrope, the ratio of alcohol in the compound stays the same throughout the boiling process.