The Latest Crazy Train News

Old 05-07-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

AirBnB is above-board, but it's also tax-free. It's up to the renter to report the income. It's cash in his hands that he doesn't have to report, to my knowledge.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
AirBnB is above-board, but it's also tax-free. It's up to the renter to report the income. It's cash in his hands that he doesn't have to report, to my knowledge.
I agree, I've used it before. There are a lot of honest, nice people using it on both sides.

Families may just be interested in the facilities your home offers and are prepared to pay a little extra for the comforts of a family home. Single guys travelling (not all) but typically, would be ok with cheaper accommodation and more prepared to go without little luxuries/ simpler amenities.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Speaking of insurance: does your policy cover/allow renting? I know "houseguests" are covered under a standard policy, but renting may require a special policy or supplemental rider. (And if so and he doesn't have one, it might represent a way to resolve your problem.)
Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
ehhhhh.

Income is income. Whether one chooses to accurately report it is another matter.

But just because it is Cash does not mean it is not income nor tax-free, per se.

More like just unreported income.

Not to be an accounting nerd, or anything, but just so folks do not act on what may harm them or others . . . .

Could be even a major Tax Deduction/Expense. If shown as Rental Income, there could be Expenses, Depreciation, etc., that actually LOWER one's Tax Liability by offsetting other income.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

Personally I would not care about the money.

Someone rooting through all of my stuff/kids' stuff while I wasn't there would give me the heebie-jeebies.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I wish I was lucky enough to not need to care about money. The added income might be needed to help with the extra cost that month when he has the kids. None of us know and assuming the rental is bad is not very open-minded. If he was renting to a group of 18 year old prostitutes using a barter system, then I would assume the worst. This doesn't sound like that.

I have rented vacation places many times and never rooted through anyone's personal stuff. Just b/c someone is renting doesn't make them bad, dangerous or dishonest. There are many people on this site who rent and I do not think of anyone that I am aware of as seedy.

From what Pippi writes, her ah is behaving better to her and her kids. Now it could all be a colossal hoax and he does burn the house down, but until that happens, it is a positive thing to be cautiously optimistic. Not naive, but not assume the worst is inevitable. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

I hope that things work out. Pippi, are you staying with your mom again during their visit with dad or are you staying in Europe?
Old 05-07-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

Um, I am definitely not lucky enough to not worry about money.

And I also rent. What I was saying was, if this isn't someone he knows and trusts, then he doesn't know if they WON'T go through their stuff.

I pretty much have nothing, all worthless junk, but it's mine, and I treasure it. I have had several "trustworthy" people in my house stealing my stuff while my back was turned. Literally-I was there and never knew until they left.

I didn't say I wouldn't do it-I said it would give me the heebie-jeebies, and I wouldn't care about the money.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

No point trying to work out why he is doing what he is doing, it'll drive you crazy.
As you say you can't control the situation & you can only control your own life.
You are a great Mum, the kids rely on you & yes you will be okay as a family - together.
To be honest they wouldn't have a clue what us Mum's do or how we live our family lives & if they were given the chance to have full custody they would probably run a mile after a week because they couldn't handle it.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

His saying that he is working from home, plus renting to get some income, makes me wonder if he still has a job.

ShootingStar1
Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by ShootingStar1 View Post
His saying that he is working from home, plus renting to get some income, makes me wonder if he still has a job.

ShootingStar1
Kind of where I am seeing things head towards too.

The only thing a long-term A eventually becomes is long-term unemployed or dead.