A small victory, but still broken hearted.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A small victory, but still broken hearted.

My AH was just told that his liver enzymes are elevated and has to go in for more testing. I could tell that this was on his mind all weekend, I simply offered some support and encouraged him to folow-up with his MD.

Towards the end of our visit (we are seperated right now), he was very anxious to leave, go back to his "home" (6 hrs away) and to start drinking again. (He only lasts about a day and a half. Anyways, he threw a huge fit over a very minor issue, tried to bully me, manipulate me, blame me, etc... you all know the drill.

It felt so good, to simply say (with no raised voice or attitude)...I can't control you, your attitude or your alcholism....I'm not engaging you. And I simply walked off...took a short walk, enjoyed the view from my front porch. Meditated. I watched him drive off, without so much of a "goodbye" to me or the kids.

It truly amazes me to witness the depth of the alcoholics denial...at one point, he tried to blame me for his liver...if I hadn't left him, his drinking wouldn't have gotten worse, etc....how very sad.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

paige....I think you did very well under this circumstance. There is nothing more that you could have done---anything else would have been very counterproductive, anyway.....(you knew that, didn't you?).

The depth of denial can just leave a person reeling in disbelief!!.

dandylion
Old 05-04-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

It's always everyone else's fault.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Brava!!!!!

That was a fantastic job of calmly not putting up with his attempts to shift the blame! The denial is amazing, isn't it?
Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, Quack, Quack Quack! Its always everyone else's fault because they cannot take responsiblity for their own actions. I am sure you held his mouth open and poured the alcohol down just to raise his liver enzymes. Yup sounds logical right? Great job not engaging and focusing on you!
Old 05-05-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Well first of all, that was very mean of you to sabotage his liver. It's liberating to just not engage isn't it? Because there's no rule to say you have to.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you! It is great that you kept your focus and did not engage.

XXX