Unexpected discoveries (OT)

Old 05-03-2014, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unexpected discoveries (OT)

In the past few months, there were some major steps forward. When I only think about it, not so long time ago, I was about to get into a fistfight with my darling - something that really scared me and upset me. So, the improvement started with leaving home immediately whenever the things would get tense. I would go for a walk. To escape.

Now, these walks are something I do every day, and the good news is, not because of tension. I have discovered that I enjoy walking and music, which is so soothing. Then, I am getting ready for the summertime and swimming. I really started taking care of my body. I watch what I eat and drink, am not lazy anymore to cook for myself only, and I have declared war against cellulite. Then I discovered dry brushing. Supposedly, it has many many benefits, it is cheap and does not take much time. And it makes one feel good.

For some relaxation and good sleep, I use binaural beats. I do not know if this is my imagination or what, but those worked really really well.

I have also started experimenting with my hair color and discovered that highlights look surprisingly nice. So, I'm gonna keep those.

And the best thing of all is that I did and am doing this for my own pleasure. I am not trying to impress anybody, just rebuilding my shattered identity and discovering what I like.

Are there any unexpected discoveries that make you feel happy and that you could share? Something you have not done before but is your everyday routine today and do not want to let it go?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My morning routine of getting right out of bed and doing the dishes was causing me huge resentments and anger, so I switched it up, now I spend those first few minutes after waking listening to a guided meditation and doing my morning journal page. The dishes get done eventually, but without the resentment.
I found that a peaceful start sets the tone for the whole day, and just a little change in my routine can make a big difference in my attitude.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi healthyagain

Me too. I work out five days a week now, even if it's just for twenty minutes. I've found that isolating and starving myself didn't feel to good and just made me miserable even if I was skinny as a result.

I do one thing per day that brings me pleasure. Even small things like taking a walk at midnight, if I want to. I've never felt such freedom. I give myself permission to feel.. whatever it is I'm feeling... and I let it flow and pass through me to it's natural conclusion. No more stuffing those feelings away and telling myself I'm bad for feeling them. What's bad is not dealing with them in an appropriate manner, and just giving in.

Now I mainly deal with depression, but I have used this technique with anxiety as well. I recognize it is happening, give it a few minutes to resolve and if it doesn't I use HALT and mindfulness exercises to get things back on track.

This has had a lot of personal benefits for me. I've been dealing with a difficult personal situation with my alcoholic, and have issues of my own that need constant attention. I also have a very demanding and competitive job and two teenage boys.

But you know what... when I take care of myself I can do it all. Not perfectly, by any means, but good enough for all of us.

I don't have everything I want, never will, but I have everything I need.

god bless,

L
Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Pia

I have a morning routine now.

*I wake up and drink my espresso in bed and read a page or two and relax and thank God.

*Do whatever I do

*Go to the gym and exercise. I too am fighting cellulite and getting ready for a bikini that I bought 6 years ago lol.

*I eat healthier

*Appreciate the little things

* Go for a walk in the evening

*I find that I sleep better with my air purifier on. It has a buzzin noise for the sterilization that weirdly I like.

I realized this week I was still sleeping on the left side of the bed so I jumped in the middle and yup feels great
Old 05-04-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
happy, joyous an free!

Originally Posted by healthyagain View Post
And the best thing of all is that I did and am doing this for my own pleasure. I am not trying to impress anybody, just rebuilding my shattered identity and discovering what I like.
healthyagain, what a wonderful thread! i get so busy with it all that taking a moment to look at what's changed is just what i needed this morning! and the above quote is my motivation also!

i discovered i look fantastic in short hair! had long hair forever and hated it for a few years. don't know why i never did anything about it, but i got quite sick for a few years with all this bs..... when i started taking care of me i just jumped in and got it cut and it has became a visible symbol of my freedom! makes me smile!

i wake up with peace, mostly, and if i for some reason wake with that old anxiety trying to take hold..... well i don't allow it! for far to long i would wake with fear and anxiety greeting me before i even opened my eyes! now i meditate, pray, read and compose my spirit for the day.

the little things i've always enjoyed now are given my full attention instead of a fleeting glance or being ignored completely. the many colors of green in this beautiful season of spring. taking hours at the lake bird watching and going further with it - i'm learning what these birds are! giggling and laughing with my granddaughter, being fully present and feeling my heart swell with joy!

i liked the story about dishes and resentment. needed to hear that one as i have been doing this same exercise without consciously knowing what i was doing. i won't approach my housekeeping anymore if it is motivated by resentment..... and often it gets done for me! now i try to only do it in a positive frame of mind for my own well being. it'll be there later (or get done by ras, not planned but happens!) and doing it with the right intention makes me feel good.

i am getting to know myself again. and i have grown and changed and i am becoming the person i was meant to be. i have spent many years taking care of and trying to change others so i ought to be pretty good at doing it for myself! after all I will listen!!!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses and new ideas (and some of them I will have to steal). I just wanted to make a thread that will only focus on us and what we do for fun and personal pleasure. Yes, little things, like drinking espresso in bed, or air purifier, or making a nice salad and having supper before 7.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Love your post! Made me smile! :-)
Old 05-04-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There is huge sober world to discover. Not only are the things you've always enjoyed better there are a million new adventures. Until I got sober I never realized how limiting my drinking made my life
Old 05-04-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Exercise has become my pleasure & a part of my life.
Eating healthy & watching my diet is also a part of my life.
Since joining SR I am now the healthiest I've ever been.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reminder on dry brushing - I had started that at my acupuncturist's suggestion a couple of years ago & it really did seem to make a difference. I've fallen out of routine with that & should make a bigger effort.

I went for a long walk yesterday & while I was setting my pedometer app I got to thinking about how much I have come to rely on my Smartphone every day for my general health & recovery. (I was dragged kicking & screaming away from my old Razr phone into the smartphone world just a yr ago)

I use it to check in on SR (posting is a hassle, but reading/thanking is easy), to track my cycles, track my healthcare & personal care appts, as a pedometer, "Thought of the day" app, chakra balancing app, hypnosis & meditation apps, as a voice recorder/journal when I can't take the time to stop & write, for games like Tetris when I need to decompress for 5-10 mins, I use apps to track the moon cycles, to help me learn to read tarot cards & runes, to organize new (healthier) recipes & their associated grocery lists, to keep quick reflexology charts on hand for easy reference.

Sometimes I even make a phone call!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well I have two jobs and one of them was really becoming a burden on me because I have to work at home on Sundays....so just for kicks I moved my work area from my office to the kitchen table and I don't know why but the change of scenery helped! I still don't like working Sunday but now I don't procrastinate as much and I'm able to get more done for whatever reason.

Also...I'm almost back at my pre-marriage weight - I went on an all natural foods diet. That feels great not just the weight but getting rid of gluten and most carbs changed how I function in majorly better ways.