the evolution of needs vs wants

Old 05-02-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the evolution of needs vs wants

There was a time where I needed to feel safe.
Though I didn't know it yet, I also needed to start my own recovery.

Several weeks ago I identified these simple basic needs of mine:
Pray.
Eat well & take my supplements.
Sleep.

Today I was thinking of how I need a haircut, and then the conundrum: I need to be responsible and take care of bills. I need to also be presentable and feel good about myself. So for today, it's a ponytail, a light bit of makeup (that I usually don't bother with) and some light exercise without overdoing it.

Some months I may need the haircut more; today I feel good about this choice. Funny how when I start thinking about what I need and start taking care of those needs, I realize I'm valuing myself. I'm making good decisions based on where I am.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like good recovery work in progress!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been wanting a haircut myself, but my "extra" grooming money has been earmarked for much needed dental care this month. Just got insurance after six years without, so my teeth are definitely my tlc priority just now.
Keep an eye out for coupons. Also lots of places will have gift card specials like a $50 gift card for $25, especially now around mother's day.
Sounds like you're doing great self-care. Those little thing can make such a huge impact on your attitude.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is so amazing when things start to go in the right direction! The more I give up control, the more I'm open to new ideas.

Yesterday I suddenly decided to head to the city and make a Costco run. DS doesn't have school on Fridays, so this is rare for me to do with him unless my husband or son has an appt there.

As we drove into town I saw little disposable signs advertising $6.99 Great Clips sale. DS could use a haircut also, so I turned in there. It's not something I'd normally do, but the suggestion of looking for a coupon for haircuts opened my mind up to this! Thank you, ladyscribbler!!

There was a 45 minute wait, so we got on the list, ran errands, and went back for our haircuts. The person cutting DS' hair soon had me come over to show me a tick with it's head embedded at the back of his neck! Everyone had suggestions, but I at least knew we wanted to be sure not to leave any part of the tick in there. Long story short, we were around the corner from the doctor's office, removed the tick, got informed about what to do for it and what to watch for.

This may not phase most people, but I've always been scared of ticks since a friend of mine was hospitalized for three weeks with Rocky Mtn tick fever when we were kids. I found out today that a friend of my dad's has had tick fever recently. Not to mention how terrible Lyme disease can be!

It hadn't been on him long, but if these things hadn't happened we may not have noticed it for some time.

It feels really good to have gotten our hair cuts! They said they do this sale for the whole weekend twice a year. It wasn't the luxury of the $35 cut I would prefer to get, but it was what we needed this week. We never did make it to Costco. By the time we drove by there, rush hour was in full swing and the Costco lot was crazy. That plus DS and I at the end of the day would have been a recipe for disaster. We did wind up having a really great day together. We stopped on our way home for him to play on his favorite hill. He ran up and down and played for 30 minutes. And yes, we checked for ticks when we got home! It'll be a daily check now during tick season.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you live in the mountains? I grew up in mountains and loved them. Didn't quite appreciate them at the time, but really miss them now.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mountains and wide open places, kind of a mix and a bit of highland dessert. I grew up in a mountainous area, but it's suburbanized now. I've grown to like this much better.