Does Their Alcoholism Effect Our Physical Health?

Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does Their Alcoholism Effect Our Physical Health?

Does anyone know if there is anything to be said about the stress of living with their A and what that has done to your own health? Just curious.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How big can I make this YES!

Mentally, physically, spiritually. I have a lot of health issues that I can see now goes back to when I was a teenager. Our kids have the same issues and the earlier they start in addressing them, the quicker the body can recover. In some ways now, I'm thankful the stress of his alcoholism broke my body down faster and earlier, otherwise I'd have had general problems all my life and not known what was going on. Instead, I fought harder and kept looking for answers for myself.

That's a bit twisted and me looking at the silver lining though. I'd like to think a healthy supportive relationship would have let me see me health issues early, but from what I've seen of others, that likely wouldn't have happened for me.

Honestly, the best healing I would have had is if I had gotten out four years ago when I found out what was wrong with me physically. Taking that stress out of my life combined with the healthy steps and changes I was making at the time, I would be completely healthy right now.

Stress effects our body, brain and spirit.
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/e...s-on-your-body

Forty-three percent of all adults suffer adverse health effects from stress.
Seventy-five percent to 90% of all doctor's office visits are for stress-related ailments and complaints.
Stress can play a part in problems such as headaches, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, skin conditions, asthma, arthritis, depression, and anxiety.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) declared stress a hazard of the workplace. Stress costs American industry more than $300 billion annually.
The lifetime prevalence of an emotional disorder is more than 50%, often due to chronic, untreated stress reactions.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Absolutely! Stress can affect us in many ways and some of them are physical. Stomach issues, headaches, hives, gastro-intestinal issues, blood preasure problems and worse.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I know for me. I get GI issues-irritable bowel and have anxiety. Without a doubt it affects us.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No. My issues and my unhealthy ways of dealing with my husband's alcoholism effects my health.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can only speak for myself on this but I was under so much stress for so long a time that I'm sure my cancer was an outcome of my immune system just shutting down. Since our divorce three yrs ago I'm happy to say I'm cancer free!
Old 04-30-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes.

high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, over sleeping, loss of appetite, overeating, weight loss, weight gain, migraines, heart palpitations, smoking.....these are just some of the medical issues I had during my marriage to alcoholic.

now.....for the mental health? let's just say my head was full of spider webs and cotton balls for a very long time. we'll just leave it at that. it was bad. worse than bad. it was life threatening.

today, I no longer have to take meds for diabetes, high blood pressure, ulcers, anxiety, sleep issues, or depression.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was uber-cautious about my health -- I was a nutrition nazi and worked out religiously and was in very good shape the last 10 years I was married to an A.

But the stress got to me anyway.

Adrenal Fatigue | Stress Supplements | Adrenal Fatigue Symptoms

Adrenal fatigue. Took me a good three years to get back to some kind of almost normal after I left.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

high blood pressure, anxiety, depression, sleeplessness, over sleeping, loss of appetite, overeating, weight loss, weight gain, migraines, heart palpitations, smoking.....these are just some of the medical issues I had during my marriage to alcoholic.

now.....for the mental health? let's just say my head was full of spider webs and cotton balls for a very long time. we'll just leave it at that. it was bad. worse than bad. it was life threatening.

Just copied and pasted from embraced cause I had all that. He's gone, so is that long list of issues. So to answer your question hell to the yes and more.
I wasn't married to mine though. I can't believe what I put myself through
Old 04-30-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am not completely blaming the fact that I got rosacea on my XAB but it did occur around the extremely stressful time in our relationship. I'm also fair skinned which is a factor too. I 100% believe that stress, especially extreme stress and trauma, causes all sorts of health problems.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Absolutely!!!!

Stress will make you physically ill. I have suffered with headaches (major ones), anxiety attacks, my hair falling out at times of high stress, breaking out in hives, all sorts of nasty stuff. My Dr. says it is a fact that stress will do you in!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Any kind of extended period of stress - regardless of the cause - is likely to have an impact on my physical health. By the time I started to really fix me I was in bad shape; adrenal fatigue, ongoing migraines, insomnia & extreme fatigue, depression, my hormones were like a roller coaster, my immune system was almost non-existent & I caught every little bug, my weight bounced around (first dropping off almost overnight, then gaining it all back the same way much later). I was exhausted physically & that also made me an emotional mess, unable to clear the fog in my brain & difficulty focusing & making decisions.

I went from literally being in the very best shape of my life even though I was in my mid+ 30's to out of balance in every sense of the word.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

Yes. And the kids too. And you know it's them because the second they aren't around, it's like a big weight off your chest. It's like, you can handle everything better. You sleep better, take better care of yourself, exercise once in a while, things that wouldn't be done otherwise because you are too busy taking care of them. It's a shame, really...
Old 04-30-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was in an al-anon meeting once and a young woman, whose father is an alcoholic, talked about how she was born with meconium in the amniotic fluid, which is when the baby poops in vitro. Usually it is linked to distress of some sort. She was saying she always wonders what was happening to her that she experienced some sort of stress before getting here.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Pia

Goodness yes- Anxiety-panic attacks, stomach problems. All my problems were a result from my head. Everytime I would go to the doc they would say results came back normal but I would ache and ache. They would give me all kinds of meds and it kept me phyically sick. Ex Doc said my aches were from fibromyalgia gave me strong meds kept me sick for years with trying to find the right dose.

Amazing AH has been gone since Jan and I don't have 1 ailment
Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
I was in an al-anon meeting once and a young woman, whose father is an alcoholic, talked about how she was born with meconium in the amniotic fluid, which is when the baby poops in vitro. Usually it is linked to distress of some sort. She was saying she always wonders what was happening to her that she experienced some sort of stress before getting here.
When I was pregnant with both kids, I had issues that only happen as a result of stress. Two different fathers (the first was just an a-hole, the second was the alcoholic) and they both had two different issues when I was pregnant. The first was much worse though, by the time the second one came around, I knew that I had to take better care of him.

Of course, both times I had preeclampsia, but that is neither here or there. And for the record, I am a type A personality, so stress is like second nature to me anyway.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Wow. I never made the connection before this, but my dad is an A and my mom always said I was a colicky baby. Stress? I also used to get tension headaches when I was young- like 6 or 7. Growing up with an alcoholic father definitely made me stressed out and then I became an angry, stressed out codependent adult.
My axb's mom has all sorts of health problems. Her husband is an ra, but both her sons are active alcoholics. She suffers from lupus, and is constantly injuring herself- twisting ankles, falling, etc. Not really on purpose, but not totally by accident either I don't think. It's just that she needs an injury as an excuse to take care if herself.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

And having an alcoholic father turned my mother neurotic. She is the epitome of an adult child, including denial about the whole thing.

She just got diagnosed with high blood pressure, although I have had it for some time now, and that's actually what killed my grandfather (he died 4 years sober). IMO, high blood pressure isn't hereditary, it's high stress, which causes the high blood pressure.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I confirmed finally that RAH was drinking again I started power eating. I was in great shape and packed on 15 lb in about 6 months.

I also went through a period of terrible sleep. I would wake up wide awake at 4 am night after night. OMG I thought I would go crazy. I was constantly tired.

His relapse was short. It would have gotten worse I am certain.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In one word..YES! I know this to be true for myself. I have had to change my own thinking to pull my physical self out of the dumpster. Still things to work on but I've come a long way. I think if you're a person who bottles up all the emotions it can be worse on a person physically. I've done that for years...not anymore and I'm the better for it.