Courage To Change 04/29/14

Old 04-29-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 04/29/14

I grew up with guilt and blame, amidst harsh criticism and constant fear. Even now, after years of Al-Anon recovery, when past mistakes come to mind I tend to react with guilt, exaggerating the significance of my errors and thinking very badly of myself. In Al-Anon I’m learning to see myself more realistically. Sure, I have wrestled with alcoholism
and taken a fall or two. I’ve made plenty of mistakes that had nothing to do with alcoholism. But I’m not evil. It’s time I stop treating myself as if I were. There was a time when the only power I felt I had was the power to mess things up. Today, because I am learning to believe in myself and my ability to make a positive contribution to my own life, I am free to look at my mistakes without blowing them out of proportion. I
can learn to stop repeating those errors, and I can make amends for the harm I have done.

Today’s Reminder
I will not chain myself to the past with self-defeating guilt, or by inflating the importance of my errors. Instead, I want to face my past and heal old wounds so that I may move forward into a richer, fuller, and more joyous life today.

“You don’t have to suffer continual chaos in order to grow.”
John C. Lilly
Old 04-29-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Carlotta, FANTASTIC, I too am learning to love myself, rootin for ya.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

this was right on time today!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It really hit home for me too this is how I grew up as an acoa
I grew up with guilt and blame, amidst harsh criticism and constant fear. Even now, after years of Al-Anon recovery, when past mistakes come to mind I tend to react with guilt, exaggerating the significance of my errors and thinking very badly of myself.
This is me! Took me a long time in Al Anon to learn to be gentler to myself and still when I make a mistake, my first reaction is to beat on myself.I had to relearn to talk to myself too when I realized that I would not talk to a dog, let alone another human being the way I talked to myself.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

See, left to my own devices if I was to meet my inner child I'd tell her to "get over it and grow a backbone". Not very nurturing LOL