Need some advice

Old 05-02-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Thank you.

I'm resisting calling her today. The clingy, controlling piece of me (which is a part I'm working to keep in check) wants to try and engage her, resolve things, make everything OK (Right noooow!) and I know that's probably one of the last things I should do right now. She's currently GETTING space, something I have a lot of trouble giving her - although to be fair, she has a lot of trouble asking for it.

Help me to be strong. It's hard to last until Monday. I've made one program call, I'll probably make a meeting tonight. I'll resist the urge to try and invade the space that's been carved for her over the last week. This will be a hard enough hill to climb on Monday as it is.

-DrS
Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

It's hard, but you CAN do it. Do some nice things for you this weekend. What are your kids doing? Spend some time w/them. Does your hotel have a pool? My kids LOVE to swim, do yours?

Just a couple of thoughts. Take care Doc!
Old 05-02-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Doc I know what you mean by wanting to patch this all up and resolve it. I'm that type too....I hate being in limbo. I have to constantly remind myself that "good things come to those who wait" and "patience is a virtue" and "Rome wasn't built in a day." Etc...Etc... Etc...lol

But I think you really do need to give her some time....at least this weekend. Monday will be here before you know it. Making the meeting is a great idea. Writing on this forum is good. Even writing some more emails is not a bad idea.....you don't necessarily have to push send yet. You can just write whatever it is you would like to tell her if you called her. I realize you are hungry for her response....but you could settle for our feedback in the meantime.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Is your wife a SAHM or does she work?

You can do this. Make plans for the weekend. Tomorrow is Saturday so aren't you taking care of the kids? Would it be possible to keep the kids at the hotel on Saturday night?

I suppose you could suggest the nesting thing if you all are going forward with the separation. I did know one couple that did that during their horrifically long divorce. They both hated it your experience may be different of course.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I remember feeling like that too (sometimes I slip back into that frame of mind still). After we separated my husband and I were still calling and texting each other way too much which resulted in me still being angry at him a lot of the time. It's part of that constantly living in a crisis thing. Always trying to fix problems or create problems or hide problems doesn't give one much time to actually enjoy life.

I think you'll find that if you give her enough space she just might miss you and you might miss her also OR maybe you'll enjoy the separation in a different way and progress with a divorce but do so amicably.

Sending you strength. The first steps are hard, but it does get better.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Is your wife a SAHM or does she work?

You can do this. Make plans for the weekend. Tomorrow is Saturday so aren't you taking care of the kids? Would it be possible to keep the kids at the hotel on Saturday night?

I suppose you could suggest the nesting thing if you all are going forward with the separation. I did know one couple that did that during their horrifically long divorce. They both hated it your experience may be different of course.
She works, 2-3 days per week from home, very flexible job.

Unfortunately my hotel is very cheap, kids would not work out.

But yes, I *need* to do this. The longer I can give her space and be amiable and caring with her at the same time (striking that balance that is so hard for me to strike), the better chance I'll have come Monday.

Currently I have both the kids, they're currently (briefly) distracted. Thinking of having the kids make Mom a birthday card before I drop them off with her and leave later tonight. Any way that would be overkill? That's probably a stupid question....

-DrS
Old 05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Waiting for the wife to come home. Small chance she may invite me to go with her and the kids for her birthday dinner. I would be so torn if she did. I certainly won't be inviting myself.

-DrS
Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi DrS,

I don't have much to add on the discussion of separation, but reading this thread reminded me of when my now XAH first became sober. We had some very similar discussions about space, anger, and resentment. To my knowledge, he never made it to 11 months sober, but these were the discussions we were having after 1-5 months of sobriety and I found it extremely difficult to hear him telling me how much better he was. I didn't feel any better and I didn't trust him that he was any better either. Maybe he was, but I couldn't make myself go there. It was extremely scary for me.

I recognized after the first month that I was the angriest I have ever been in my life. I didn't feel like myself at all and didn't know how to control it. I needed space from him just so my anger could stop being so triggered. It took months of individual therapy before I could calmly and rationally address my feelings. At that point, my issues had almost nothing to do with his current behavior. It was all me. On the other hand, he just could not accept that i needed the space for me. He felt like I was continuing to punish him, or I was abandoning him, or I was surely looking into a new relationship. No matter how I explained it, he could not accept that there was nothing he could do to speed up my recovery other than to just let me do it on my own. Honestly, his insistence that he be a part of my recovery and his judgement of my recovery was like a scab that he was constantly picking at. He had so often before belittled and ignored my needs when he had been drinking, that his sober behavior felt like more of the same. It reinforced my disbelief in his recovery. Yes, I recognize all of this disfunction, all of this crossing over to the other's side of the street. But that's what happens in early recovery, isn't it.

I eventually came to a conclusion that helped me calm down a bit. I should not take his recovery behaviors personally any more than I thought he should take my recovery behaviors personally. We both have issues and we are working through them and processing all the new information in the best way we can at the moment. I began to feel compassion for his struggles. I wished he would see that I was struggling too and feel that same compassion for me, but I stopped expecting it.

Our story ended because he was not willing to give me the time I needed. He gave me about two months of time without pressuring and pushing before giving our relationship up as lost. He may have been right. I don't really know even now, more than two years later, how much longer I would have needed. Obviously, though, he had different needs. And, that is okay. I don't take it personally (most of the time).

I wish you and your family the best,
Fathom
Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DocSobrietist View Post

One of the things another group member brought up to me (this particular member had 6 years sober, was also divorced himself, is amicable and friends with his ex-wife) was - and this had never occurred to me before - he asked me, "why is it you're supposed to move out when your wife asks for a separation"?

That sort of stopped me in my tracks, I was floored.

I have 11+ months sober now. If my wife had asked me to move out a 11 months ago, really, there's no argument - everyone in the world would understand why she would be asking, and I would have to say yes, and yes, I would have done it. But I've been at this sobriety thing for 11 months now, guns blazing, typically multiple meetings per week, and in my opinion, really taking ownership of my program and recovery (I really have - and I feel it too). My wife and I have been having a lot of difficulties of late, particularly the last 6-8 weeks, but I have to ask - at this point, are these problems entirely *my* fault to the point that I should be the one to leave the house, no questions asked? It occurs to me that our problems now are a two-to-tango affair. We both have a part in this.

I mean, would it make any more sense to ask my wife to leave the house? (The answer to that is a resounding NO). She's not entirely at fault here, and neither am I.

So anyways, that point really stopped me in my tracks, and also, I think it's interesting that I never even questioned this - I just unconsciously accepted the premise that morally, I am the one pretty much entirely to blame for my current relationship troubles and so THEREFORE, I should be the one making plans to move out. This is part of my so-called "disease" - accepting that I'm entirely the bad one, that when things go bad in our relationship it's my fault, I need to take the blame because really, I'm the one who made the bad choices. Black-sheep thinking is not uncommon with people with addiction problems is what I've found.

Of course, I am *not*, this coming Monday (our next couples therapy session) going to lead in with, "hey, this isn't my fault this is happening - so why don't you move out?" That would start a fight - last thing I want is another fight with my wife, particularly when we've reached this point. What I will say is, "why should either of us be moving out?" First, there have been no relapses, there is no physical abuse, there is no infidelity (at least, not as far as I know), no betrayals. It's not clear why (or even if) either of us should move out. Our problem is we fight, we're not getting along. Not saying separation is out of the question, but it's hard to argue that either of us clearly should move out based on what's been going on lately.

Also, if one of us moved out, the one who moved out would have to get another place that's at least two bedrooms in size, with extra furniture (e.g., a bunk bed, or two extra beds), and the kids would now be required to schlep their stuff to another house at least two days a week or more depending on the arrangement.

If my wife's goal in asking for a separation is she's just looking for a last-ditch way to continue to work on our marriage (which is possible), I think I'm going to suggest a couple of things. First, I'm going to point out that if we pursued a separation now, this would not be following the "no big relationship changes a year out from sobriety / beginning recovery" guideline (which applies to both of us - even though I don't do 12-step, I definitely subscribe to this).

Second, I'm going to suggest that if separation is something my wife won't back down on, the only kind of arrangement I can accept right now (assuming she still wants to work on reconciling) is something I heard suggested at last night's Lifering meeting - doing a "nesting" arrangement.

In a nutshell, a nesting arrangement is my wife and I find a room somewhere (much cheaper than a condo or a 2 or 3-bedroom place with lots of extra furniture), and we switch off with who is living with the kids. Neither parent moves out - they rotate.

I can see with my wife and I, in the first (say) three months of this we have a strict schedule with who is switching off and gets what days, etc. Date nights would be set, shared family events are set, and 1:1 communication takes place primarily by phone. Perhaps after three months, if things go well (lots of couples therapy takes place in this time), we can start easing up on a night or two. I stay and watch a TV show with her a couple nights a week. We get more face time. AND, if things get dicey between the two of us - for example, of my wife starts getting into her verbal nastiness / stonewalling thing because that's what she does - then I have an escape hatch that protects me emotionally and morally (doesn't make me the bad guy by pushing her when she she can't talk), and gives her space to breathe and collect herself. In other words, if we fight, and say my wife starts name calling, I don't sit and take it - I have an escape hatch, I get to raise my hand and say "this is not right what you're saying to me - I'm leaving now."

Also, again, with the nesting agreement, I'm not moving out (making me the bad guy and her the aggrieved party - I'm frankly *sick* of that dynamic), it's both of us flexing to try something different to make the marriage work.

Also, finally, if my wife declines this nesting arrangement suggestion - I think this will give me a lot of information as to where her head is as far as reconciliation goes - I think this will help to answer whether she wants to work on the marriage, or if she's already got a foot out the door. Which is possible. As you've seen from my other posts, she and I may have been through too much at this point for us to go back to the drawing board yet again. I'm beginning to mentally prepare for that.

What do people think?

-DrS
I know some things have changed since you wrote this but I do want to comment to it as the Monday meeting has not occurred.

Frankly, the advice given to you sounds like something only an addict would say. I know you are tired of feeling like this is all your fault, your wife isn't perfect either. 11 months sober is a fantastic accomplishment. It doesn't make up for 6.5 years of multiple addictions ending in a life threatening hospitalization. This isn't about you making up for that time, you cannot. You can move forward in healing the marriage and showing her that you can be selfless because there is nothing more selfish than addiction.

I honestly believe if you say to her that you don't think it should be you to have to move out you will be putting the nail in the coffin.

You are nearly a year out don't split hairs about it only being a 11 months. Technicalities at this point I don't believe will work in your favor.

You need to earn her trust back you don't have it yet.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
Hi DrS,

I recognized after the first month that I was the angriest I have ever been in my life. I didn't feel like myself at all and didn't know how to control it. I needed space from him just so my anger could stop being so triggered. It took months of individual therapy before I could calmly and rationally address my feelings. At that point, my issues had almost nothing to do with his current behavior. It was all me. On the other hand, he just could not accept that i needed the space for me. He felt like I was continuing to punish him, or I was abandoning him, or I was surely looking into a new relationship. No matter how I explained it, he could not accept that there was nothing he could do to speed up my recovery other than to just let me do it on my own. Honestly, his insistence that he be a part of my recovery and his judgement of my recovery was like a scab that he was constantly picking at. He had so often before belittled and ignored my needs when he had been drinking, that his sober behavior felt like more of the same. It reinforced my disbelief in his recovery. Yes, I recognize all of this disfunction, all of this crossing over to the other's side of the street. But that's what happens in early recovery, isn't it.

Hi DS;
I think Fathom really explains how angry and untrusting you feel after dealing with someone's addictions long term.

I felt exactly like this dealing with my mother's alcoholism. I was so angry I had dreams of killing her. I'm not kidding.
(instead, I looked after her and dealt with her crap for nearly three decades as an adult codependent who felt the I "should" put up with it since I was her daughter).

When I finally went to therapy as an adult after dealing with years and years of her drunken abuse and multiple hosptilizations and quacking and exploitation of me
I think I cried buckets of tears when the dam finally burst and I had time and space to address what I had been pushing down since I had to see her frequently
and each encounter triggered me no matter what she did, quite frankly.
The tears were "built" from both rage and sadness that I had allowed myself to be in a situation so damaging for both of us.
I'm still reaping it years later (she's been dead now nearly seven years) as I escalated my own drinking,
largely in part of having to keep engaging her as she went downhill from her abuse of alcohol and cigarettes.
I felt stupid and like I had wasted my life taking care of and dealing with an addict. I had. After she died I drank even more
because I was so mad I had done everything I could and she still died an addict and didn't "appreciate" my sacrifice. Duh.

That doesn't just go away because the addict stops and says, "don't judge me, I'm getting better now--forgive me and get over it."
I wish sometimes it did as I'm tired of paying the piper again and again.
He doesn't throw it up in my face that often, but he drinks himself now and tells me that it is in response to the caregiving
he has had to do of me and my mother over the years, which short-circuited his own plans for life.
He did not have a problem with alcohol until years into our relationship, and he did have to sacrifice a lot
so that I could stay in a town with few chances for him in terms of work so I could "take care" of her.

So the pattern repeats until we stop it.
Which we are working hard to do, several years out from me stopping
(nearly three years, with one short 6 week "moderation experiment" on my part last August which I stopped quickly when I began
to escalate from the nightly glass of wine or cider and realized I was going right back).

So, I'm learning with my own spouse, who is now learning to trust me again, that this is a very slow process and not on a measurable timetable.
I disagree strongly with the comment someone posted on the other thread you shared with your wife's response email that living with person doesn't trigger them
into the codependent actions / patterns--healing for me only really started when I detached physically and emotionally from the field of engagement and focused on myself and my needs and part in the situation.

Give her space, work on yourself, and both of you put the kids first as you clearly are trying to do.
It may or may not work out--nobody can see where the emotions will end up after some serious long-term trauma,
but time can heal if we let it, and especially if that is paired with active engagement of both partners in the recovery process.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm going to suggest we suspend couples therapy for at least three months after this thing (whatever it is) begins. After clarifying "the rules" (how we are to interact with each other), that is.

I anticipate the way we'll be interacting for some time (based on my wife's behavior) is - cordial, polite, but aloof. It will be hard for me (no more "I love you too"'s, etc). - but as long as I understand the purpose for it and the higher good being achieved - I can do this. Again, we'll clarify this more on Monday, but that seems like where things are going.

-DrS