First DV meeting

Old 04-28-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First DV meeting

First of all, thanks to those who responded to my ptsd post. I didn't respond back but read the comments.

I went to my first DV meeting tonight. This morning was with a case worker and tonight was the support group. The case worker was really nice and just let me talk. It was a little uncomfortable because I'm not used to talking about it to anyone in person.

Tonight was the group meeting of about five other women. The leader of the group is the assistant director of the organization and she has a very calming personality which is definitely helpful. We talked about warning signs and she gave us a list. I felt a lot more comfortable there than I did in Alanon but I want to try going again now that I'm in a different city. I feel like going to these support groups will help a lot in letting go of my XAB. It feels weird talking about my experience out loud but so much better than keeping all those thoughts in my head. I write a lot but talking, for me, is something I want to work on.

Today when I was waiting for my case worker, there were two young children in the waiting room. A newborn was asleep in the stroller and there was a little girl of not more than four. She was playing with one if the volunteers while the mother was talking to someone in another room. It made me really sad because they are in a bad situation but so thankful for these organizations. I'm so thankful I didn't have a child with my ex. I had an abortion and I used to feel guilty about it but now it's the best decision I could have made. I know abortion is a very touchy subject but it really makes me think about what that child would have went through and I didn't even know my ex was an alcoholic or abusive when I made that decision. I just had a bad feeling about it (but continued dating him for five more years). He claims he wouldn't have been abusive or his drinking would have stopped a long time ago if we had a child but there's no possible way to tell and if I could go back in time I wouldn't change my decision. I feel so deeply for women (and men) who are stuck in these situations with children <3
Old 04-28-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Meggy, thanks for posting about this. I'm glad you had a good experience with the DV meeting. I'm finding that many Alanon groups are very different. One of the Alanon groups I didn't care for as much I still gathered important things for myself from. My home group is wonderful. Another one I know I won't be back to.

My closest DV group is too far away for me to make it to their evening meeting. I'm not ruling it out though. I'm keeping watch for a workshop that I can make it to.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: My mind wanders a lot, but I try to stay in the present.
Thanks for the update, I'm glad you had a positive experience.

This may be a dumb question, but what does the case worker do? I she like a therapist?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma View Post
Th
This may be a dumb question, but what does the case worker do? I she like a therapist?
Not a dumb question, I didn't know either. They help with housing, getting legal advice, money and basic necessities, or just to listen.

The woman I met with didn't ask too many questions, just said I could talk about whatever I felt comfortable with. It's nice because the therapists I've seen in the past are only available once a month or even longer so it's nice to have that support in between.