Courage To Change 04/18/14

Old 04-18-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 04/18/14

Learning about alcoholism has helped me to find serenity after years of struggling. I see now that alcoholics have a disease: They are ill, not bad. By attending Al-Anon meetings on a regular basis, reading Al-Anon
Conference Approved Literature (CAL), and sitting in on open AA meetings, I have gained some insight into what is and is not reasonable to expect when dealing with an alcoholic. I’ve learned that I have the ability to adjust my expectations so that I no longer set myself up for constant disappointment. For instance, I have stopped expecting a drinking alcoholic to keep every promise. This makes my life more manageable. The knowledge I gain in Al-Anon has dispersed many
of my fears and made room for a newfound compassion. I see that I am not the only one with good ideas, valid criticisms, and noble motives.

Today’s Reminder

Learning about the disease of alcoholism can help me become more realistic about a loved one’s illness—and thus to make better choices for myself.

“I have learned techniques for dealing with the alcoholic, so that I can develop a relationship with the person behind the disease.”

Al-Anon Faces Alcoholism
Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
“I have learned techniques for dealing with the alcoholic, so that I can develop a relationship with the person behind the disease.”
This statement provokes some really strong reactions in me. There is simply no way that I could do this or would even WANT to do this w/a drinking A. Active alcoholism is simply not something I'm willing to live with in the long run, and that is all there is to it for me.

I know there are people who do, and have done so for years upon years. I guess I don't think they are any more or less than I am, but they sure as hell are different than I am.

As always, thanks for posting, Carlotta.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I’ve learned that I have the ability to adjust my expectations so that I no longer set myself up for constant disappointment.
I know this, I know this, I know this. But I still slip up and get hurt again. Thank you for the reminder.