Wonderful book to read...Love is a choice

Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
And Presents For Pretty Girls

Wonderful book to read...Love is a choice

I searched to see if this was listed anywhere, but didn't find it.

I've read more books on co-dependency than I care to count, but I found this one, Love Is A Choice - The Definitive Book on Letting Go of Unhealthy Relationships by Dr. Robert Hemfelt, Dr Frank Minirth and Dr. Paul Meier an extremely eye-opening and helpful read.

There was an earlier version of this book I found in the library that was about co-dependency. They changed up the name a bit and re-released it. I purchased it on Kindle.

It certainly can't replace any type of therapy, but it sure did help me to really take a look at all the dynamics of past relationships I've had (friends, family and romantic), what my type was in my family's dynamic and the steps to really look at where I'd come from and where I was heading.

They use lots of examples, plenty of God references without being preachy, and I liked the simplicity of their writing about a topic that could be above the average person's head.

My biggest revelation was realizing every major important relationship had the same dynamic. I always had to be the good girl. Seems like I surrounded myself with those that got in trouble as a way to be a martyr and look like I was so much better than them. Reality? I wasn't as good as I appeared to be...I was just good at covering it up. But, I always wanted that squeaky clean image so I would be loved more. At least that was my perception at the time.

And, that's my book report for today
Old 04-17-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Let's have a cat fight over who can be the better 'good' girl!