Had Enough of my husbands addiction!~!!!

Old 04-05-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had Enough of my husbands addiction!~!!!

Every other week is a fight for 3 years long!!! Today I give up i mean it !!!This time go face your addiction alone and live with it im so sick of the friends calling phone ringing pupils either huge or small mood swings verbal abuse mental abuse and most of all sneaky lies!!!!!!!!! Its not going to be easy but i will not look back the time has come to move on with my life .. I know there are so many women/men out there at the first stage of this with their spouses and prepare yourself ahead of time for it to be long battle and progress into madness beyond your control and understanding !!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome Openmind. There is lots of support here xxx
Old 04-05-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

open your mind, and take back your life, huh?

Have heard worse plans.

Good for you.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, openmind, how are you doing today? Hope you're hanging in there.

I'd like to suggest Alanon for some face-to-face support and education as well as continuing to read as much as you can here at SR. Here's a link to help you find Alanon meetings: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

Also, have you checked out the stickied threads at the top of the page? There's a lot there that's worth your time also.

Wishing you strength and clarity.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you im going to check out those forums .. I was suppose to be at a meeting at 9 this morning but i got so mad that used his negative energy and ended up drinking a bottle of wine which I totally regret because no I am being called an Drunk .. Its a horrible scary feeling to think that someone you love can say and do these things to a perfect family . I have said the same thing a hundred different ways to get him to get sober .. I really do need to get my head out of the clouds Thanks everyone very much for the replies
Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by openmind121 View Post
Thank you im going to check out those forums .. I was suppose to be at a meeting at 9 this morning but i got so mad that used his negative energy and ended up drinking a bottle of wine which I totally regret because no I am being called an Drunk .. Its a horrible scary feeling to think that someone you love can say and do these things to a perfect family . I have said the same thing a hundred different ways to get him to get sober .. I really do need to get my head out of the clouds Thanks everyone very much for the replies
One of the first questions my T asked me was "has your drinking escalated in relation to As drinking/progression?" It had. Sadly. I was self medicating the pain. Don't feel bad, you recognize it. I think any awareness is a good start to the entire healing process. In my case the more time goes on the clearer thing become.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by openmind121 View Post
I have said the same thing a hundred different ways to get him to get sober.
I think we all understand this. I think we've all done the same thing. I know I surely have. It just seems so clear--alcohol is ruining everything that matters, and so the drinking needs to stop! How could there even be any question about it? And so we think, well, I guess I just didn't make it clear enough, I guess I didn't say it in a way that he can understand, I guess he doesn't think I'm serious...I just need to try again and THIS time the message will get thru and he'll stop and life will be perfect.

And that worked so well for me....NOT!

They are looking at things thru their "alcohol goggles" and everything we say pretty much sounds to them like Charlie Brown's teacher in those TV shows.

So this is the part where the partner/spouse/friend of the A needs to take care of him/herself and turn the A over to whatever higher power they believe in, be it God, the Universe, whatever. Our hands are simply not big enough to hold the A and change their life.

Hoping your day today is better and that you find some peace and clarity somewhere in it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I think we all understand this. I think we've all done the same thing. I know I surely have. It just seems so clear--alcohol is ruining everything that matters, and so the drinking needs to stop! How could there even be any question about it? And so we think, well, I guess I just didn't make it clear enough, I guess I didn't say it in a way that he can understand, I guess he doesn't think I'm serious...I just need to try again and THIS time the message will get thru and he'll stop and life will be perfect.

And that worked so well for me....NOT!

They are looking at things thru their "alcohol goggles" and everything we say pretty much sounds to them like Charlie Brown's teacher in those TV shows.

So this is the part where the partner/spouse/friend of the A needs to take care of him/herself and turn the A over to whatever higher power they believe in, be it God, the Universe, whatever. Our hands are simply not big enough to hold the A and change their life.

Hoping your day today is better and that you find some peace and clarity somewhere in it.
I took me a long time to grasp this. I just couldn't wrap my brain around it. I did not grow up with alcohol around, but was around drinking in my adult life. It was the happy hours or birthday celebrations or just a girls night in watching movies and talking or simply a relaxing drink in the evening. The "concept" of alcoholism was completely lost on me. Yeah, I knew he drank but we all did. I honestly had no idea the extent of it with him.

I am not sure when I "got it" but I just kept going to Alanon (online), my therapist and reading (here and online elsewhere and any book I could get that would finally make it make sense to me).

On thing stands out in my mind - it was when my T said "yes, he is the dependent and you are the codependent." The entire drive home it just kept repeating in my brain. It was like it finally made sense. He is dependent on Alcohol (and by proxy, dependent on me) and I was dependent on him as a result of his dependence.

I think everyone is different in their own discoveries. I think it is important that one listens or reads what they want/need, eventually things will start to line up/make sense. It just takes one piece to fall into place or to be the right thing at the right time and one can finally start their own path to recovery. At least that was the way with me. So many times after that initial point I would remember something I had heard or read and be able to see where that "fit" in with my recovery/journey.