Meditation?

Old 03-29-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meditation?

Hi, I tried searching around but did not see much on it here.

I have signed up for some Oprah/Deepak thing starting 4/21. I've listened to some things on YouTube, but a few made me feel like I had bees in my head and were irritating. Today I did like a Tibetan bowl video, so I do keep trying ones. My DS let me borrow some nice headphones and that definitely helps me block out the world.

So does anyone have any guided ones they use online or recommendations or a CD they like??
Old 03-29-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used this one when I went for my message a couple of weeks ago. I think this is really a personal preference. Keep searching.

3 HOURS Relaxing Music with Water Sounds Meditation - YouTube

I also think good fitting ear buds or headphones are a must.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi CJ,

I have been meditating off and on for years now, and I don't have as much problem tuning out my internal buzzing anymore. I actually find it more distracting to have someone talking at me while I try to meditate because it activates my thinking again. So, I will often use sounds of waves or birds or wind as something soothing (to me) in the background. Pandora has some pretty reasonable meditation stations pre-mixed that you can get lots of hours out of.

The type of meditation that I really prefer is Pranayama, or breathing meditation, where you practice lengthening and calming your breath. When I first started, I found an app that plays one long note in the inhale and another long note for the exhale. You can set how long those notes play for depending on your experience level. I found that really helpful for directing my breathing but also for focusing my mind.

Peace,
Fathom
Old 03-29-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Okay this is something I learned in Daytox. It is just simple and something I do when I need to get thoughts out of my head.

You get some nice smelling candles I actually bought some more pricey ones they smell like fresh grass and bamboo.

You light the candle in front of you and sit on a pillow on the floor. Then I close my eyes and just concentrate on the smell of the candle. Then I have the luxury of clearing out my thoughts and thinking of nothing for the next 20-30 minutes or however long I need to do it for.

I personally thought it was a load of bunk when I first did it, but I'll be darned if it didn't work me.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great ideas! Thanks all for sharing! Love the candle idea. So you don't look at it, but close your eyes and smell it?
Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

CodeJob, did you already see this in the Secular Connections area of the forum? http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...editation.html
Old 03-29-2014, 12:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by CodeJob View Post
Great ideas! Thanks all for sharing! Love the candle idea. So you don't look at it, but close your eyes and smell it?
Yes, you just close your eyes and concentrate on the smell. That is why I was okay spending extra money on candles that smelled nice (not the fake candle smell) and smells that reminded me of good things. Fresh grass and bamboo remind me of camping and being out in nature. I have another one that kind of perks me up when I need it, it is a woody, musky one.

The whole idea is to clear your mind of all garbage or things you don't want to think about for that time frame. I found it helped a lot when I was craving and it also helps when I am feeling stressed out or just need a break from life.

I am not the type that goes for this mediation, yoga stuff, but when I quit drinking last time I was willing to try anything. I was surprised this worked, but it really did. I think because it was simple and I didn't have to make it complicated hahahaha.

Edited to add please do not lay on the floor and do this, you don't want to fall asleep with a candle burning .
Old 03-29-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I like Kelly howell... google her and the brain sync website will be there
Old 03-29-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
And Presents For Pretty Girls

I have done all the other Oprah/Deepak meditations in the past and they are awesome. Oprah talks for a few minutes, then Deepak goes into his part for about 5 minutes and then there's music and some quiet meditation for about 7 or 8 minutes. The meditations are short enough to relax you and his messages are very uplifting and awesome to listen to.

A lot of people avoid meditation because they think if they can't still their mind for more than a minute they can't do it, so they don't continue.

I had a really hard time at first, and even now I'll get a song stuck in my head and it will continue to play in my mind while I'm trying to meditate. I still keep at it and just use that time for inner reflection.

For me it helped not to play the radio or tv right before doing it and if other thoughts came in I just let them run their course and let them go.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Talked a little bit about this at Alanon this week.

But yunno Step 11 specifically calls for us to Meditate? I am still way down in the single digits on my Step Program, but I like the "lite" applications I have done regarding Step 11, already, and was wondering -- since I am (sort of like you?) a "study" or "observe" person rather than Mediation, per se -- how to go about that?

So folks can follow what I am mumbling about, here is Step 11.

====================

Step 11 : "Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."

=====================

What I have/had found myself lately doing is thinking (too much) about Mrs. Hammer, and the crap she pulls on me and the family. Since she leads the pack on my Step 4 Resentment List, that has been idling on the Spare Sectors of my mind.

So.

I did some "rewiring." Every time I find myself thinking about Mrs. Hammer's crap for the past couple of weeks -- I instead think or (sort of) Meditate on God.

And THAT has put me much closer to God, and much further away from Mrs. Hammer's crap.

Nice substitution, I have to say. Remember -- ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD . . . (You know the rest . . . ).

Just had my daughter explaining that (FOR THOSE WHO LOVE GOOD) back to me on the way home from Ice Skating today . . .
Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What I've been doing that has been working for me is that each time I have a thought come to my mind, I visualize myself putting it on a shelf (like my thoughts are books) and it seriously makes the thought leave my mind. Sometimes I have to put many thoughts on the shelf before my mind is clear and sometimes I only do it a few times.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh thanks for the great suggestions everyone! Honeypig I did not see that thread. Odd it did not pop up in the search I did!

LadyinBC, I promise I will not lie down when I try the candle! I think I might have some nice tea lights...

Stung, I will definitely try shelving my thoughts like books! Real books is one of my clutter issues... Ha ha!

Will look up Kelly Howell for sure! Thanks!

Thanks Hammer. I had a really productive day today. I wonder if it was the Tibetan bowls? I must admit I am still deeply in Step 4. It was for Lent that I wanted to get more into meditation. I hope to make it a daily habit. Also it is one of the top interventions to increase your happiness set point! Well I'm all about that!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Also this is where I go to get my candles. I go to the store here, but you can order online. They even have one called snap peas which I might try! They are a bit expensive, but they last long, smell nice and don't have that sickly perfume candle smell.

3-Wick Candles - Home & Candles - Bath & Body Works