Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Do alcoholics accuse you (the partner or ex partner) of being no fun etc etc

Do alcoholics accuse you (the partner or ex partner) of being no fun etc etc

Old 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Welcome to the 'Buzzkill' club
LOL, Love this one!

To answer the question: yes, I was told I was a stick in the mud, I was no fun and killed his joy. I took away his fun-o-meter when I told him I wouldn't live in the same house with him if he drank around us. So, now that he doesn't drink around us(he drinks when he travels or when I'm out of town) his life is unhappy and boring, too. Boohoo....
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have heard the same things too, along with WTF happened to you? You used to drink when we met!

Um, when we met almost 20 years ago, I had a 2 year old daughter...and I only had a drink or two when I went out. I never drank at home or around my daughter. I went with you while YOU drank with your friends, but if my daughter was with us, I didn't have a drink.

And he thinks I drank constantly. NO, I certainly did not! And, 20 years later, I still may have an occasional drink socially but very rarely a drink at home.

There is no convincing him otherwise.

Sue
Old 03-28-2014, 11:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

thank you for asking this. i'm still fairly new here and was feeling bad because abf brought this all up all over again. how i'm no fun anymore and how i drank SO much before he was wondered if he could keep up with me based all my facebook photos of all my drinking. and have i been talking to mother lately and conspiring to call him an alcoholic. there was one time, he (while drunk) screamed at me for not drinking at him. it actually frightened me so i would drink so he wouldn't pick a fight with me but kept it to the minimum.

thanks, i don't feel so alone.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

"Party pooper" "Stick in the mud" and "You're no fun"......heard them all soooo many times!
Old 03-28-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

AXH couldn't make up his mind what I was: I was boring, tightwad, no fun, acted like I was 90 years old... Then if I was playing around with DS, it was: "Just how old are you, anyway? 2?"

That was all while he was AH. Not AXH. Not having to talk with him about anything but DS has been wonderful. Once I got that filter in place to ignore anything not DS, it was a different world.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ROFLMAO at Seren's Welcome to the Buzzkill club! No kidding, that hit my funny bone spot on. thanks for that one! I am busting up.
I am far beyond missing the drama, oh, I mean all that "fun" roll eyes
I am gratefully living in peace. And my boring self laughs a lot more too.
I can even PLAN fun things in advance and not have them blow up.
No contact was the best gift I could give myself.
I simply cannot overstate that.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Speaking of accusations. I was accused of taking "fun out of life," and he told me this jokingly. And yesterday, I was accused of controlling him. Controlling what he eats and drinks (notice that he carefully put "drinks" after "eats.") Now, let me clarify. He has gout. He must not drink beer (or any alcohol, but ESPECIALLY NOT beer). Doctor told him so. He must not eat much meat either. If he does, things will get painful. It is his joints that will get all puffy, it is him who will be limping around. And I am really not controlling him. He could get his beer right now if we wanted. How can I stop him? I could not do it before (nagging, crying, begging), so what prevents him now?

Oh boy, kissing his old lover goodbye must be super tough.