Good Advice - Try a Few Al Anon Meeting Times

Old 03-26-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good Advice - Try a Few Al Anon Meeting Times

So today I snuck out of work and went to a different Al Anon meeting. This is one of the meetings I had targeted as one that maybe I could find a more comfortable fit because where I work is a bit of a snobby area.

Sure enough Mr. T was right and I felt more comfortable in this group. Mr. T is going to be shocked I went. About 10 minutes into the meeting I literally got dizzy because I could not believe I had just wandered out of work and was actually there! I kept my coat on though just in case I needed to bolt.

I was anxiously assessing this group for a sponsor and just then one of the older men said he didn't trust anyone and had been in Al Anon 5 years and had yet to meet someone worthy of sponsor material for him. Whoa. Talk about my HP giving me a sign to not worry about the sponsor thing at the moment. At the rate this guy was going, he was going to die before he found a sponsor! A

But I went. They gave me a book - which was nice. They had a speaker and she was very worthwhile to hear. I felt much more comfortable and did speak. I even stayed afterwards and talked to two people which I am a bit shy so that was pretty stellar behavior for me.

So look at that. I should be able to make this meeting during work fairly regularly and my RAH would be none the wiser.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great news, CodeJob! It is really surprising how different the vibe can be from one meeting to another, isn't it? Still the same good support and information, but some meetings feel like home and others just don't quite fit right.

Glad you found your new meeting!