3 Compartments

Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 Compartments

Over the weekend my husband and I were talking about recovery stuff and he told me an interesting theory that his friend (a therapist) told him and I thought I would share it because it made me feel hopeful and I know from experience that sometimes the self-discovery side of recovery can be a downer.

Basically everyone has 3 compartments inside of them. One compartment is made up of things that are genuinely and distinctly you at your core, like if you have a talent or if you're naturally drawn to something. The second compartment is made up of the things that your parents gave you, some of it is good and some of it is bad, things like religion, biases, perceptions, habits, etc. Depending on your parents you may have a LOT of bad stuff in there or not so much bad stuff. The third compartment is for growth. We fill the third compartment with good things that we choose as tools to make us better people, like choosing to smother your kids with love and patience, using detachment and boundaries as a means to safeguard your own sanity and serenity, various methods of self care, etc.

I really like the concept that as much baggage some of us may have been saddled with in our upbringing and that even though we've brought that into our own adult lives, we can now choose to bring as much good stuff into our lives as we want. That concept just makes me feel so hopeful and helps me to focus less on the second compartment and more on the third one.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for that! I love new ways of looking at things.