What is your favorite recovery "tool" and why?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What is your favorite recovery "tool" and why?

I'm trying to get an idea of what the tools are, so share away.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This website - good to see different people in various stages using different recovery methods. Gives me good feedback and the opportunity to be honest about my own life.

HALT acronym for hungry angry tired lonely. Is great for identifying cravings and moods and understanding why I feel the way I do.

The telephone reaching out, texting, interacting with others in recovery and friends who support me.

AA helps me now that I'm sober to see real people who understand, and are all striving to be better people.

Meditation keeps me centered, aware of my obsessions, and worries and helps me clear my mind and focus in the now.

Many books and other resources. I read a lot. Books, websites, blogs. Journals, some recovery based, some barely touch the topic. Give me perspective, knowledge, and hope.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

One of the biggies for me was learning how I react to events. I learned that I did not have to react to a request or any 'emergency' in the mind of the active addict/alcoholic. I can take time to think about what, if anything, my response or action will be.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have a favorite tool. I like my morning readings, prayers, and meditation because they center me and start my day off right. (This alone has made a huge difference in how my day goes.) The slogans are great for stopping the obsessive worrying. Learning how to detach was huge for me. Before alanon and SR I didn't realize how much I take on others' feelings and anxiety. Not having to do that has made my life much more peaceful.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clean since 1/11/14

Detachment is my favorite so far. I am just learning the tools. It feels so good when I detach with love and don't get sucked into others emotions. It's my security bubble lol
Old 03-24-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd say mindfulness is my favorite. When I pay attention to my thoughts and respond rather than react my life is much better. I have a couple of simple mantras I use to keep myself off the hamster wheel in my head. Things like "who are you talking to?" or "that's not happening now." when I feel myself arguing with someone who isn't there or I start to future trip. When nothing is going on in my head, which by the way happens a lot more now, I will use "I love me." or "Thank you". Self esteem and gratitude are good things to reinforce.

Your friend,
Old 03-24-2014, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Journaling has become a huge thing for me again. (I did it for years & then stopped for a long time)

Awareness - to me this encompasses some of what other's have said... like being Aware of Right Now & not obsessing on yesterday or tomorrow, just staying in the Now. Awareness of my triggers, Awareness of the damage on my side of the street & owning it instead of continuing to look for answers outside of myelf.

Yoga is big for me because it is the physical bridge between my mind & spirit & when I am in my Zone on my mat, I am in all 3 spaces equally & it is ALL about ME. There is no room to focus on anything but myself. Sometimes it is the only place in my life where I can find/create balance in a way that I truly FEEL it. Beyond that, when I focus on targeted areas in a therapy sense (like the hips - the seat of our emotions) I have found it useful in jarring loose old memories & emotions & bringing them closer to the surface so that I can heal them.

Breathing exercises & meditation are crucial for me because I can do them anywhere & apply them to all kinds o situations in life, not just in dealing with my qualifier.

SR - invaluable in terms of hearing other's life experiences & the wealth of knowledge shared. I have gotten so many leads from this site to books, blogs, events, etc that have resonated with me..... it's so much more than just reading &/or responding to a thread.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I second detachment.

For me, that was important to learn because I had learned from early childhood to take responsibility for other people's feelings. My mother was sick and bedridden a lot of my childhood, and I learned that I was being praised when I didn't disturb her but helped her. So I learned that a good person is someone who denies their own needs in order to fulfill those of others. Which was fine when I grew up in a loving family that gave back, but a disastrous way of being when I married a user.

Learning to detach for me was drawing a clear boundary between me and other people. Learning that I didn't have to be sad, angry, or irritable just because someone else was. Learning that I didn't have to -- indeed, couldn't -- fix other people's negative emotions. Learning that it's totally OK to say "bummer" and go on with my life when someone is trying to make me take on their feelings as my own.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

SR is the community / human connection where I've discussed my alcohol problem and recovery. Have not had very good experience sharing it with non-addict friends so far. Science. Planning and structuring my days has been very helpful especially during the first month and also introducing new pleasurable activities into my schedule. My drinking led me into a pretty extreme social isolation, so I'm trying to break this, get out and connect with people more - this is still a challenge sometimes. I also read a lot and journal. Mindfulness and being aware of what's going on in and around me, including when I do things that I resent afterward, why that happened. Meditation - trying to establish a regular regime with it. Exercise has been helpful, lots of walking in my city, too. Balanced diet and sleep schedule, which still needs improvement. Detachment from negative influences or overly critical people, but it's important that this does not lead to avoidant behaviors. Finally, one of the most important issues for me to work on is anxiety management as I've figured it plays into almost everything I'm doing. Also trying to work on self-esteem issues, which is related to anxiety for me at least. I would like to try therapy but have not found the right person yet.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

A construction dude friend recommends the following tools: a white flag (for surrender and open mind) and a jackhammer (for moral cleansing).
Old 03-24-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if therapy is a recovery tool per se, more of a method, but it's been the biggest help for me. Talking things through with someone who gives me honest, unbiased feedback and advice has been the biggest game changer for me.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Prayer and my sponsor. If my sponsor is unavailable then I call another woman I have met and trust in the program and talk it out.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One Day At A Time and Living Life on Life's terms
Old 03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Staying busy with productive hobbies.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Opening up to others. SR and Celebrate Recovery led me to do so. I usto cover up for and lie about what was going on. When I stopped that and reached out my hand for help from others my life changed that very second.

Reading, reading, reading. Although the reading has changed. I usto read about how to get my XAH to recover, now I read about how to get myself and my children to have a successful recovery.

The power of prayer. I usto beg for answers and now I see I was just looking for a different answer. God does answer prayers, just maybe not how we want them answered or on our time frame.

Work....I have friends at my job and take pride in what I do. I also do housework to keep my house and yard looking nice. It gives me pride and a sense of accomplishment and calm to walk into a clean house and pull up to a nice yard.

My family. They know when I need them to show up right that second. They know when something is bothering me and I am trying to not show it. They know when I need to lean on them and they give me their unwaivering support.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I asked my daughter what she wanted. She doesn't want my ABF in our lives. So whenever I am tempted to contact him, I think of her. I know I need to get to the point when I can think that it's not good for me to be with him too but it's a start and it keeps me on the right track.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What a great thread to start Choublak!

I agree with much of DoubleBarrel's post -

This website - SR and the frank honesty on this site has been a lifesaver for me.

HALT acronym for hungry angry lonely tired. Remembering this gives me some compassion and ability to detach when my RAH acts a little screwy. It even makes me evaluate me and my son's behavior with a bit more detachment. Sometimes I really just put myself to bed when I get crabby! Sometimes I run through HALT when my soon to be teen ager acts goofy.

Meditation/Prayer is my newest tool. I've never used it much and I am hoping to make it a habit.

Many books and other resources. I read a lot. Books, websites, blogs. Journals, some recovery based, some barely touch the topic. Give me perspective, knowledge, and hope.

Step 1, Step 2 and Step 3. Currently I am on Step 4 and have made some really big thought shifts. I do feel more centered and someone at work today said I look 'bright.' She is a codie and we talked a fair amount about where we are today (not tomorrow or yesterday!). I was able to articulate what I was working on in Step 4 and how it was totally impacting me and I was nowhere near even done with that step. But I think just reflecting and praying and looking at things differently is allowing some of it to be released before I even get to Step 5. So yeah maybe 'bright' is a good description. I am definitely sloughing off some old attitudes and trying to look ahead with great optimism even if things are uncertain.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Manifesting a Attitude of Gratitude helps for many reasons one of which is

"it is hard to be hateful when you are grateful"
Old 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post

SR - invaluable in terms of hearing other's life experiences & the wealth of knowledge shared. I have gotten so many leads from this site to books, blogs, events, etc that have resonated with me..... it's so much more than just reading &/or responding to a thread.
A+

AND . . .

Alanon, where it is small groups of Long-Tymers with a LOT of "Cross-talk."