Emotional Clinical Tonight

Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Emotional Clinical Tonight

My clinical rotation in my Nursing program was on the Traumatic Brain unit tonight. Wouldn't you know it, my first patient was a gorgeous 21 year old just like my kid. He had suffered a traumatic brain injury requiring a craniotomy due to a subdural hematoma......All resulting from what? Yup, you guessed it, he fell down a fight of stairs due to a heavy night of drinking. It put me in a bad place and I felt like I just wanted to come here and share......We are all only a step away....Sorry for venting but I'm just shook up!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are patients that touch your heart no matter how guarded you try to be. Hugs.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

TBI is a sad, sad thing. Don't know if you've hear of Dr. Daniel Amen, but he has several books out on healing the brain after TBI.
My mom told me about them b/c my ex suffered 3 TBIs in Iraq. She sent some and I read through a bit, but as he was binge drinking and continuing the brain damage it seemed rather pointless to encourage him to eat more cumin and rosemary and do brain exercises.
Apparently this stuff really works if you're trying to heal the brain. Not so much if you're trying to kill yourself in slow motion.
I know I couldn't handle nursing. You're very courageous and have chosen an eminently useful vocation. Sending hugs and strength. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

jacrazz, I saw a documentary on the toll alcohol is taking in Australia and they spent a lot of time in the casualty department of one of our big public hospitals. It was heartbreaking seeing the people come in with injuries caused by drunkenness. That's not even taking their behaviour into account.