He has not been drinking for over 2 weeks

Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He has not been drinking for over 2 weeks

And I am more confused than ever.

So, my husband had some health issues for years (gout that in the end got really ugly and out of control, affecting several joints at the same time, and making him crawl on his knees). After he finally visited a doctor, he got some prescription drugs (a super strong painkiller included) and he just stopped drinking beer after at least eight years of consistent everyday drinking. I must tell you that I was terrified and waiting for the worst imaginable withdrawal symptoms. And I was more than ready to call 911. Now, what that visit did to him, I have no idea, but he just changed, just like that. Not even one beer in the evening for weeks. No drinking on St. Patrick's Day! And he is so caring and generally full of life.

Now, I understand that he is fully responsible for his own recovery, and it is probably way too early for me to be ecstatic and say he quit for good. But, I am like, now what? I am more confused than happy. I mean, I've been praying for this moment for such a long time, and then it really happens, and it seems surreal.

So, I will keep working on my recovery. Spring begins today and there are so many wonderful things to do.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

he finally visited a doctor, he got some prescription drugs (a super strong painkiller included)

methinks he just switched substances, dear.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Should have clarified this (and I understand why you said this, because I was thinking exactly the same thing). But it is impossible because he only had them for 3-4 days and no refills. So...
Old 03-20-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Healthy Again,

This is intriguing. You must be dying of curiousity to see what is behind this abrupt change. First of all, I hope your H is feeling better and up off his knees!

Well, don't do what I would do - which is ask 100 questions.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good luck to you, we've been through this before as well, the abrupt "I quit drinking" out of nowhere, followed by sudden bliss? I can see how a health scare could be the reason, but I'd be curious as to what the recovery plan is from here forward. Good luck to you, any A who quits drinking is a good thing.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

He could have had that magical "Moment Of Clarity" which is a catalyst for some of us to quit and stay quit. Still, do not set your hopes too high (visiting the newcomer alcoholism forum on SR is a good way to get a reality check). People do get those moments then either they let them go by and don't act on them or they forget about them and resume drinking/using.
So, I will keep working on my recovery. Spring begins today and there are so many wonderful things to do.
That's a great plan
Old 03-20-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am super curious and have 1000 questions but do not even dare to have any high hopes (but it would be wonderful, wouldn't it?).

Health scare might be the reason and this horrible, horrible pain and immobility. And if he keeps drinking, beer especially, they will come back. I guess it is up to him now.

This might be his very first "Moment of Clarity" in the past 8 years.

And yep, I'll stick to my very own recovery.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

This might be his very first "Moment of Clarity" in the past 8 years.
Hopefully, he will hang on to it, cherish it and make the most of it but it is really out of your hands. Good plan focusing on your own recovery.