Your alcoholic has the right to drink.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:22 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrising View Post
I kinda love this thread, Im not really sure why this thought gives way to my freedom but it does and it did.
AH has the right to drink, be emotionally disconnected, be irresponsible, be dishonest, be the captain of his life and the social, legal consequences that follow his choices.
I have the right to live drama free, emotionally connected, responsible, honest, happy and fulfilled. I simply don't have the skills, nor do I want to obtain the skills (also a choice) to live how I want to live with an active alcoholic.
He made his choice and I made mine, now we both live with our consequences. I prefer my consequences
Yes...why should we have to seek counselling or learn skills to cope with other peoples right to live how they want? (Or self destruct whilst destroying everything else around the) while they pour money down the drain via their urinary system? I for one work hard at my job to create a better lifestyle while lazy bones sits on his ass all day watching tv (his right) and l come home to chores not being done (his right again) so l have to start working again (prob my right?) So l also think its my right to point out what a lazy useless slob of a person he is! His right is to choose who he wants to be...its my right not to like his choice.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:33 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

I worked out my exah has a right to drink but I had a right not to be there for it.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrising View Post
Im not really sure why this thought gives way to my freedom but it does and it did.
Amen - it was the same kind of AHA moment for me - totally freeing.

This IS recovery to me, these moments that unshackle us from chains that bind us. When stuff strikes a deep resonance like this type of thing does, it also suddenly occurs to me that *I* was the one shackling myself & therefore, *I* can also choose to free myself.

That's where that sense of freedom came from, for me. It's not about his "rights" at all - it's about being able to see my own differently by removing the focus from any external qualifiers.