Hello… my wife is an alcoholic

Old 03-31-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chrissy81 View Post
Thank you for sharing and I'm so very sorry for what you have to go through. Your wife sounds like my mom - while she does not have any specifically diagnosed mental illness, I'm very certain that there are a couple of issues that contribute to her drinking, which only began about ten years ago. She follows a similar pattern - is fine and productive until around 3ish, or the 'witching hour' as my sister and I refer to it, and that's when we get weird emails that have one too many typographical errors in them (and my mother is normally not the type to make those errors), or strange posts appear on Facebook, etc - my sister is the super-lucky one who actually gets strings of nasty, hateful, unprovoked emails from her. Apparently, my mother doesn't love me enough to take out her issues on me, so I guess I'm thankful. And then we find out later that when my father comes home, she is in fact drunk. We're adults and so we do not live anywhere near to my parents but when my mother comes to visit and stays with my sister (she owns her own house, I do not), it is the same thing - sister goes to work, leaves mom alone who does chores and then sister comes home to find her drunk (from wine she most likely had to purchase by walking to the nearest convenience store, since when she visits, she takes the train and we have to chauffeur her around). It's not the "typical" alcoholic presentation; she doesn't need a drink in the morning and doesn't drink consistently throughout the day. But clearly, it's still abuse and still a problem. I feel so terribly for my dad - my parents are in their 60s and have been married for 37 years. This is not what my dad signed up for.

I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to say except thank you for sharing.
Thank you for sharing. sounds very similar. She is doing a little better since I gave her an ultimatum, to choose 1. Quit drinking 2. Hospital/Rehab 3. Get out, I won't be subjected to it anymore. We found a Rehab that my insurance will cover 90% that she is not turned off by, her counselor likes it. My insurance has such strict rules regarding the criteria a rehab has to have but found a loophole in my policy, if there isn't anyplace that meets the criteria within 100 miles (and there isn't) then their criteria loosens up a bit. Found a place 350 or so miles away that she is filling out the assessment form for that her counselor will fax to them tomorrow. She has drank some since the ultimatum but a lot less (for her). As long as she is willing to go to Rehab, and drinks a lot less in the meantime (1 bottle of wine instead of 2 or 3 with some whiskey thrown in) I'm being tolerant. If the rehab falls thru because she changes her mind then I give up.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have Bipolar II and didn't take meds or get serious treatment until I was about 37. I self-medicated with drugs and alcohol for years. When I finally got real help from a psychiatrist and agreed to take meds, I quit drinking. I was so depressed and I knew that I had to change something. Accepting that I have a mental illness was very difficult, but finally having a diagnosis and getting treatment changed my life.

Managing bipolar disorder is tough and a lifelong struggle. I drank to ease my depression and it only made it worse. Drinking also had the effect of making me manic when I was in "party mode". I still tend to be a very impulsive person. Even though I am much more mentally healthy than I used to be, I have to be careful about putting myself in situations that trigger depression or manic behavior. Bipolar depression and mania are cyclic and often seasonal. Stress brings about mania and anxiety like you would not believe. Cold, gray days and lack of light can make me depressed for months if I'm not vigilant about taking care of my physical and mental health.

By the time I stopped drinking and got treatment my marriage was beyond repair. I hope your wife decides to go to rehab and get help. I'm really sorry you're going through this. You both deserve a life filled with peace and hope. xoxoxo
Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This book is a great resource:
http://www.amazon.com/Take-Charge-Bi.../dp/0446697613