Courage To Change 03/11/14

Old 03-11-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 03/11/14

"I've chosen my epitaph," says an Al-Anon friend. "I want it to read, 'He's finally minding his own business.'"
We laugh, enjoying some relief in contemplating the lighter side of a serious subject, those defects of character that seems so hard to shake. Laughter makes our frailty seemed easier to bear, and we can forgive ourselves for our imperfections. What a change from the days when we hid in shame from our flaws or used them to beat ourselves over the head!
My friends and I resolved that in the future we will try less, except more, and let go of our impatience, self-criticism, and self-hatred. We take a deep breath and say "Help me Higher Power. Help me remember that the purpose of making mistakes is to prepare myself to make more; help me remember that when I'm no longer making mistakes I'll be out of this world."

Today's Reminder

In a way, I will always be a beginner. There will always be some new challenge to face because life is ever-changing and so am I. Because of this constant change, every tiny little action I take involves some risk of making a mistake. It takes courage to participate in life. Today I can applaud myself for trying. I'm doing a terrific job.

"My Higher Power is the confidence within me that makes me unafraid, even unafraid to make mistakes."

~As We Understood…
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I read this earlier this morning. It was timely given that I've been struggling with feeling like I'm not making progress fast enough! I feel like I can see changes... and then I do something stupid and feel like I can't see any changes It's a nice reminder that there isn't a 'final destination' that we're all racing towards, but rather, continual progress, improvement, growth, and enlightenment. Knowing that takes a little of the pressure off on seeing 'the results', I think.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love the epitaph--was gonna go with "Affiant further sayeth not", but I think that one is much more appropriate!