When child protective services FAIL your kids

Old 03-07-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, WTBH. This sucks. Hope you come out of it quickly.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This is unbelievable! There is absolutely nothing that could possibly justify him beating you, so why on earth would it matter if you HAD provoked him?!? What an incompetent idiot!

So sorry this has happened to you and your girls.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I can't even wrap my mind around this, I'm so disgusted. Is there any way their therapist can throw some weight behind your complaint? I'm so, so sorry.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You did the right thing by making a complaint against the worker. She obviously does not understand the emotional impact of domestic violence on children and appears to hold old-fashioned stereotypical views of DV. You could possibly enlist the help of your local DV office for support when you meet next with the worker/supervisor to address the complaint. Sounds like some education is needed here.

That being said, your children do appear to be coping well and that's good. I don't know if I'd want my own kids labelled 'abused,' and my case referred for ongoing protective services if in fact they are very resilient, well cared for, and protected by me.

Emotional abuse, as a result of witnessing DV, is the hardest thing to prove in a courtroom. Part of this stems from old views on the issue, the 'invisibility' of the maltreatment, and even the old beliefs that it didn't affect children. There has been a huge shift in this thinking in the last decade thanks to DV advocates. CPS work now focusses on empowering the victims, and not labelling children-who-witness 'abused' if in fact the victim/mother is a protective and capable parent. (Obviously the worker you met with didn't get the empowerment memo).
Old 03-08-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry this happened to you. My parents took foster kids when I was growing up and it's obvious that the system is so, so broken. There are some good caseworkers out there though. Hopefully you will find one. You are absolutely 100% right in reporting her and filing a complaint. Her comments and questions were unacceptable.

I hope it gets better. Much love and hugs to you. xoxoxo
Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry you are experiencing such difficulties. Children's Services aren't much better here in the UK, but, under The Children Act, children are considered to be "at risk of significant harm" if they witness DV. Even though Child Services failed my SD when she was living with her alcoholic mother, they did remove her half brother after he witnessed mums boyfriend beating her up.

I know this doesn't help you, but it is considered harmful for children to witness DV. Keep fighting. And stay strong.