Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

My alcoholic father is about to become homeless. Should I let him stay with me?

My alcoholic father is about to become homeless. Should I let him stay with me?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Given what I know about how hard it is to get someone out of your house once you've let them in, that's not a chance I'd be willing to take.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The Salvation Army, available in almost every even halfway decently sized city, sounds like it could be a great option for your dad. If you wanted to relieve your guilt about doing nothing for him you could offer to let him stay with you for a while after he had completed their 6 month program as long as he was remaining sober and looking for work. It is completely free and will help him for an entire 6 month period, and usually has a waiting list of less than a week.
Also Oxford Houses, again available in most cities, are pretty cheap (100 a week on average) and require the housemates to he sober and looking for work. Perhaps offering to pay for his rent there for a 2month period or so while he looks for a job? I struggled mightily with the whole let-him-go homeless thing when dealing with my late ex AH and these were two options I would suggest (and which he did take me up on on two occasions) when I knew I wouldnt let him stay with me but felt too badly about doing nothing to help. Of course, doing nothing to help is a valid option too, and sometimes I think one that I should used more myself. Good luck! I know it's not easy.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I spoke just today with a man staying at the YMCA. No curfew, and the residents have full use of the gym,pool, etc. Each is responsible for his own food. At this Y, they may drink though I have no idea how one secures one's property from others.