Courage To Change 03/05/14

Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 03/05/14

When I first started working the Steps, the thought of having my character defects removed made me very nervous. I thought I would end up like a chunk of Swiss cheese, full of holes. But I wanted to get better and I was continually assured that the Steps were the key to my recovery, so I went forward in spite of my fears. I had to take the risk and act upon faith before I could receive the gifts my Higher Power held out to me.
Nowhere in Step Four through Seven do we ask God to add anything, but rather to take away the things we do not need. I found that every single defect that was removed had been hiding an asset. I didn't lose myself at all. Instead, as I let go of the things I didn't need, I made room for my strengths, skills, and feelings to become more fully part of my life. I take comfort in this, because it reminds me that everything I need is already present. But I couldn't be sure until I worked the Steps and found some relief from my shortcomings.

Today's Reminder

God knows exactly what I need and has already given it to me. My job is to keep it simple and ask for God's help in relieving me of the extra stuff -- shortcomings that keep me tied down.

"Before sunlight can shine through a window, the blinds must be raised."

~American proverb