Emdr

Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Emdr

Has anyone done this type of therapy. If so, what are your thoughts? Helpful/not helpful? I have a therapist suggesting it for me. He mentioned it for my past stuff of growing up as a child but he might not realize there is more to it with bad things that have happened with my current bf. But maybe he does?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My therapist has suggested trying this too to help with my past but haven't tried it but once so far.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi sillappl,

My therapist used this therapy with me over the summer and it really seemed to clear my head of all the bs and allowed me to feel much more confident about expressing my feelings. I am co-dependent and have a history of putting my own needs behind the needs of others.

We used emdr to develop a strategy to respond to various events such as: my XABF staying out all night, calling me while drunk, etc.

This was the point in time in my therapy when I was really able to develop my boundaries and stick by them. I think emdr was instrumental in this.

Although my XABF and I got back together later in the summer, we recently split because he started drinking/drugging again. For me, enforcing my boundary was amazingly simple and unemotional.

I hope this helps you,
Karin
Old 02-27-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can someone explain the technique or post a link to what it is exactly? Never heard of it.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post
Can someone explain the technique or post a link to what it is exactly? Never heard of it.
Hi Lyssy,

I'm fairly new to it but my therapist suggested going to the emdr website which I just googled and read about it. On this site there is a video about a patient that went through it and he has an interesting story found on the Client session page. I'm new on SR so I couldn't post links. Seems like an interesting idea though.

So far what I know is it uses side to side eye movements to resolve distressing memories or ptsd type symptoms. I might be simplifying it but for me what peaked my interest is it talked about helping people who have already been in talk therapy for a while--totally me and while has helped I still relive a lot bad experiences. Hope this helps.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh me me! I did it 2 years ago. I have to admit, it sounded a little bit strange the whole eye movement thing, but it's one of the BEST things i've ever done for myself. It really helped me with myself (not really with my AH), but it did help me in my relationships with healthy people. Do it!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hey I did it too, but just didn't know what it was called. I've described it a couple of times on SR to people who had obsessive thoughts that just wouldn't quit.
I'd been through some distressing events and I couldn't stop thinking about them over and over. My therapist had heard of this new treatment (this was back in the 90s). It was the first time he tried it.
Long story short, it worked. Neither of us knew at the time whether it was the therapy or just talking, but I see here it's worked for others as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone. I'm actually very eager to try it.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I know there are a couple of people here who have gone through EMDR for PTSD -- I just haven't seen them around this week. Let me see if I can dig up a post about it from a couple of months ago...
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lashbacks.html

Ladyscribbler has some good insights on EMDR there.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sllyappl, thanks for this post I think I will ask my T to try it again seeing so many people have said that it works.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Is this similar in principle to EFT (tapping)?

What is EFT? | EFT Radio - Tapping Techniques