wish me luck.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Today's the day? Good luck, Readerbaby!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Unfortunately it's going to have to wait until Monday or Tuesday. My coworker is going to be out today and tomorrow (she has cancer and increased her chemo medication). I would like her to be there to be my witness (she already knows). I feel really good about it and it's still a month's notice if I tell her next week. Part of the reason I feel confident is because of all the support I've gotten here. I appreciate it so much!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Kinda sucks though because I was all psyched to do it today. I'm a grown woman and my choices are mine. I do what's best for me instead of putting others' needs first. This is my new mantra. LOL
Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

RB, I totally understand all you are saying. Sorry you have to wait, but it will be fine regardless!

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
Kinda sucks though because I was all psyched to do it today. I'm a grown woman and my choices are mine. I do what's best for me instead of putting others' needs first. This is my new mantra. LOL
Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Take a bunch, add some alcohol . . . show up bombed . . . Get Fired!

No Worries.

See? A's are smarter than we know.

Put some FUN back in dysfunction.
Omg Hammer you're do funny. You're like our class clown around here. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Readerbaby, you don't need luck, you're going to do just great!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Did you tell her? How did it go?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

It went really well. She wants me to pursue my dream but doesn't want to lose me, so she proposed that I work part-time (20 hrs a week). I can set my own hours and do some of my work at home. I will be the business manager, doing treatment plans and billing, social media and marketing in my own office. No more front desk crap, which I cannot stand.

I can pretty much set my own terms. If I decide to stay on in this capacity, I am asking for a raise. I'm going to think about it over the weekend. I was going to get a part-time job anyway, and there's no way I'd make nearly as much money as I do now.

I talked to my BF about it and we're going to sit down and really go over finances with a fine-toothed comb. He wants to support me in whatever I decide to do, which is great. However, I have never counted on someone else completely, so I have to have some kind of money coming in until my freelance work is paying the bills.

All in all it's been a great learning experience for me. I need to stop future-tripping so much and expecting the negative to happen. I've been undervaluing myself professionally and there's no reason I should be doing that. I've been thinking a lot about why I was so intimidated by the situation. I'm a pretty strong-willed person but also a people pleaser (obviously). I've also realized how extremely powerful meditation can be when it comes to self-discovery and healing. I've always wanted to feel spiritually fulfilled and I think I've finally found something that works for me.

I want to thank each and every person here for their insight and support. I appreciate it so much. I don't know how I lived without SR!
Old 03-07-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That is awesome. I hope things can work out with you being part time.

One word from my past experience, if you choose to take your boss up on the part time thing, set clear boundaries and expectations about what YOUR responsibilities are. I have had a similar situation where I went part time but basically kept having the same responsibilities/ level of expectation ...only with only half the salary. Only accept if you have a raise and only agree to duties that you want, don't be the de facto go-to girl.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

This sounds like an ideal outcome for you and your boss.

Meditation is a fantastic thing--I'm with you 1000 percent there.

Congrats RB on heading for your dream
Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

That is super great! I know you were really dreading all of it, I am so glad it went well!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post
Congratulations! That is awesome. I hope things can work out with you being part time.

One word from my past experience, if you choose to take your boss up on the part time thing, set clear boundaries and expectations about what YOUR responsibilities are. I have had a similar situation where I went part time but basically kept having the same responsibilities/ level of expectation ...only with only half the salary. Only accept if you have a raise and only agree to duties that you want, don't be the de facto go-to girl.
Thanks for your input. This is what I'm thinking about before I agree to anything. I have a tendency to take over if things need to be done, especially if I've already done the job.

I'm also annoyed because she already talked with a former employee about coming back to take over the front desk, when she said we were going to discuss it first. This person is very nice, but she does NOTHING. She's the one who got the practice into the financial mess that I fixed over the past three years. WHY??? Why why why would you do that? The assistant also told her that she will not work this person because she does nothing but text and fool around all day. So I am already reconsidering. I'm not fixing other people's messes in addition to doing what I need to do. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Readerbaby, what kind of freelance work do you do? I'm a part time freelance web designer and I really want to do it full time but am still dependent on my day job. I'd love to compare notes with you sometime.

Congrats!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.... so glad the discussion went as well as it did!!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:52 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm glad it went well, Readerbaby I do think you're wise to not just accept the part time position without really looking at all of your alternatives (especially given the new development with the front desk person. Just another consideration, but while part time may sound ideal, if it's stressful and draining all your energy, you will have less to put into your freelancing and therefore, will receive less out of it.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
Thanks for your input. This is what I'm thinking about before I agree to anything. I have a tendency to take over if things need to be done, especially if I've already done the job.

I'm also annoyed because she already talked with a former employee about coming back to take over the front desk, when she said we were going to discuss it first. This person is very nice, but she does NOTHING. She's the one who got the practice into the financial mess that I fixed over the past three years. WHY??? Why why why would you do that? The assistant also told her that she will not work this person because she does nothing but text and fool around all day. So I am already reconsidering. I'm not fixing other people's messes in addition to doing what I need to do. We'll see what happens.
What you wrote above, your knowledge, experience and organizational ability, are why you are worth more per hour and should at the least ask for a raise if you stay part time. You add more value than the others.

Your boss sounds pretty typical of a non-business professional owning/running a small business and making short term easy choices that are detrimental to the long term gain of the organization and stakeholders. I have seen that happen A LOT. It usually cycles from prosperity to crisis management because of decisions like that, then she'll hire another YOU and things will improve again. Honestly, if you can get a significant raise, I would take the MUCH higher raise at part time, if she only raises the salary a buck or two, then I would move on and leave the ball of chaos for her.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

You are spot on, Missfixit. My Dad had a small business for 40 years and while he is FAR from professional, he knew how to run a business and to think logically and not emotionally about business decisions. I guess that's why some of this stuff bugs me so much. Why make things more difficult for yourself?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulinFLA View Post
Readerbaby, what kind of freelance work do you do? I'm a part time freelance web designer and I really want to do it full time but am still dependent on my day job. I'd love to compare notes with you sometime.

Congrats!
I'm a freelance writer. Honestly I am terrified and really hope I can make this work financially. It's something I have to try. Lately I am realizing how short life is and if I want to be happy I need to make it happen, not just sit around and wait for something to fall into my lap.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

With the owner asking that former employee to come back, it sounds like a recipe for disaster. If you need the paycheck while you get the freelancing going, agree to a certain higher rate working part-time for two months? That would give her time to change things over (or not) and you a known paycheck, less hours and a specific date for getting out. With the work from home aspect for your current boss, are you able to only work the hours you're being paid for? Would she or the former employee question the unseen hours you put in or resent that later? Funny how some people will suggest something and then gripe about it. I often give more than I'm being paid for and working from home for someone else on an hourly basis is hard. I find I regularly give away extra hours I've worked. My problem, but I know it's there. I didn't use to be that way, before being such a codie. I'm recovering but I'm not there yet.

I was dealing with a lot of stress this week -- it's effect on my mental and physical health was terrible. I've been toying with a couple ideas of jobs, but that showed me I really need to find ones that build me up instead of tear me down.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Yesterday I wrote up a proposal with clear salary requirements, expectations and boundaries. However, after giving it more consideration I've decided to leave. A clean break is what I need. I can't take the negativity and craziness anymore. My sanity is more important than money. I'll be done March 31, off to Florida with family for a week (yay!), then back home to get to writing. I'm going to take a full month off from any external work and then look for a part-time job with very little responsibility. We went over finances today and it should work.

This article helped me make up my mind.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquely...s-you-to-stay/