Old 02-26-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!! Do something extra special for you, today
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday to you!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday! I hope you find the time to do something nice for yourself! HUGS!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Hopeful! Don't let him or anyone else ruin this special day! Do something fun, spoil yourself, go to a spa, buy yourself something nice, or go to a fancy restaurant.
All the best wishes, and hugs
Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I'm feeling a little better about things today. Even though I've been telling myself relapse is always a possibility, I wasn't as prepared as I thought. I just kind of panicked last night, seeing him drunk brought me right back to the nervous anxious mess I was when he was still drinking. Wow, I really do need to work on me some more. It's not good to let someone else's actions affect me so profoundly.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopefulinFLA View Post
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I'm feeling a little better about things today. Even though I've been telling myself relapse is always a possibility, I wasn't as prepared as I thought. I just kind of panicked last night, seeing him drunk brought me right back to the nervous anxious mess I was when he was still drinking. Wow, I really do need to work on me some more. It's not good to let someone else's actions affect me so profoundly.
Hugs to you! You will get through this.

I doubt this will be a popular sentiment, but I too viewed relapse as a possibility. As the relapse(s) happened and I found out more information about addiction and alcoholism, I began to view a relapse with high probability rather than a mere possibility. I don't write that to be negative, but instead realistic. If you want to be with someone who has this aliment, then managing your expectations is important to do for your sanity.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday! Have a great day!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Hopeful,

I hope you were able to enjoy your birthday!

It's not good to let someone else's actions affect me so profoundly.
This is the gold standard. Something that is easier said than done, in my experience. We allow ourselves to hope that it's all over...when it's never really all over even for those in long-term recovery. My stepson recently relapsed because I guess he hasn't realized that his condition requires life-long maintenance and vigilance.

I hope your husband picks himself back up quickly. Hang in there!!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:34 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissFixit View Post

Hugs to you! You will get through this.

I doubt this will be a popular sentiment, but I too viewed relapse as a possibility. As the relapse(s) happened and I found out more information about addiction and alcoholism, I began to view a relapse with high probability rather than a mere possibility. I don't write that to be negative, but instead realistic. If you want to be with someone who has this aliment, then managing your expectations is important to do for your sanity.
I agree totally. Now I have to get my logical self in sync with my emotional self which is easier said than done. Sigh...