meditation

Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meditation

Yesterday I woke up with horrible anxiety. Just fear and negative thinking about everything that could possibly go wrong in my life. I'm not sure why; it just happens to me sometimes. I had the sick feeling in my stomach and a tight feeling in my chest and all of that.

I took my dogs for a walk but it didn't help at all. I was still jumping out of my skin. I looked up a guided meditation for anxiety on youtube and decided to give it a try. The first ten minutes or so I just kept thinking,"this isn't working. I feel the same. argh! Please let it work." I finally settled down and by the time it was over I felt much better. Over the next hour or so my anxiety had completely dissipated.

Since I started going to a Heart of Recovery Shambhala meeting once a week, I have tried to incorporate meditation in my life at least once a day, even if only for ten minutes. I can't believe how it's changing my life. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but it is. I am so grateful to be on this path to serenity. My relationship issues with my BF and his alcoholism have been really tough but this whole situation has taught me soooo much about myself, what kind of person I want to be, and how I want to live my life. It has been a blessing in disguise. No matter what happens I've gotten something positive and life-changing out of it and that's never a bad thing.

For those of you who would like to try meditation but are intimidated or think you can't do it (my mind races almost 24/7), give it a try. Keep trying. Before you know it you'll be doing it and will see changes in your way of thinking and how you react to things. I never thought I'd be on this path. I thought I'd always be *&^%$@ up beyond repair. I'm realizing this is not true. It's possible to change destructive patterns of thought. I'm not going to say it's easy, but it's happened gradually, without me having to over think it. If anything meditation helps me to UNDER-think it.

On another happy note, I got my new bike yesterday. LOVE IT!

I hope everyone has a good day.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

RB..that is wonderful. Those attacks are panic attacks and for you to be able to find a way to ward them off is amazing!

Glad you got a new bike! I cannot wait for it to warm up here so I can ride my bike, I got one last year. Nothing fancy but I like riding around in the nice weather.

Have a blessed day!
Old 02-24-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=readerbaby71;4491019] My relationship issues with my BF and his alcoholism have been really tough but this whole situation has taught me soooo much about myself, what kind of person I want to be, and how I want to live my life. It has been a blessing in disguise. No matter what happens I've gotten something positive and life-changing out of it and that's never a bad thing.

The Universe sure does work in mysterious ways!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Readerbaby. I started attempting to meditate last fall. Like you, my brain races 24/7. Initially, I did it before bed. It relaxes me so much that I fall asleep almost instantly! (Huge thing for me as I've struggled with mild-moderate insomnia for years.) Problem was, I was still feeling really anxious during the day so I started doing it in the morning... before I talked to anyone (even the kids.) That makes my day go so much better! I'm more calm, peaceful, and less anxious. I'm still not that great at it so some days are more successful than others but I always feel better when I do it

OY: Congratulations on the bike
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I recently started a mindfulness group/class. I am really enjoying it. You can find tons of free guided meditations on YouTube if you prefer a guided meditation, and there are apps for your phone with guided meditations, and even a mindfulness bell that can be set to randomly chime and remind you to do some mindful breathing or give gratitude, or whatever.

Glad you are enjoying your new journey!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm so glad you found something that works for you, readerbaby! Have fun on your new bike, too!!