Human Nature. Our own worst enemy

Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Human Nature. Our own worst enemy

Please forgive the rambling..Might as well be here.

"What Part of Us Needs To Be Fixed" Just saw this on a thread.

A question that all humans will ask until they die. We are HUMAN. In the final analysis we are all tempted by desire and the heart. Our brains can scream the right path, and yet the emotional part of our brains, the more primitive aspects of our nature continue to take over despite fact. Despite almost certain failure. Our nature is always hopeful.

THAT in and of itself is a FABULOUS quality. Human, natural and hopeful. We are destined to hurt ourselves in search of the heart's desire over and over.

Even if we learn this time around, we most certainly will fall again in another place with another person. This is our nature.

This should be celebrated?? I don't know. Should it be admonished??? I don't know.

The only thing I know is that change is certain. Whether it is the person sitting next to us or the place we are sitting. Everything will change and our opportunities to grow less connected, less attached and more appreciative will continue to hit us in the face like a brick wall until we get it.

Or until we die.

Either way, we do have an opportunity to appreciate what our life is at this moment. Why can't we do it???

Our inability to let go, shows us how young we really are in this universe. We are missing something very big and very important while we vent away on this site and worry and hope and complain.

I know this and yet, like all of you, I'm still here.

I wish for us all, a life free from the chains we drag around because we cannot fathom a life without burden.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember a time when I was exploring different types of therapy and I read about something involving language. I don't even remember what it was called, but it was about changing the words we use, especially the words we use in our mind, our "self-talk." The article I read explained that we tend to describe the things we want, or our "heart's desire" as you called it, as needs. We tell ourselves that we need things, when really we want them badly. So, if we can change our thinking from "need" to "prefer" we can lessen the pain of not getting it. It sounds a bit trivial on the surface, but it was a real epiphany for me. If I needed my husband to be sober, and I needed my marriage to work, I was devastated when those things didn't happen. But, if I preferred those things, but didn't need them, it was sad when they didn't happen, but not the end of the world. And, I've found that this small change in the way I look at things has made a major difference in my happiness.

L