what to say?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what to say?

My BF is over three months sober and had been doing really well. This week he's down and I can tell he's struggling. He started a new job after not working much for about a year. It's physically challenging and an adjustment. He's hasn't wanted to talk so I've been leaving him to himself. He just texted me: "Freaking out at work. I need meds. I can't do this **** yet all clean and sober. I'm losing it."

I texted back that I'm sorry he's having a rough time and that I love him. I suggested he call his therapist and psychiatrist tomorrow, and try to get together with his sponsor. I don't know what else to say. I'll see him later when I pick him up at work, but I am at a loss. It's not that I don't care but I am not going to get emotionally entangled in his mental issues again. Things are going well with me and I don't want to **** that up.

I can tell he is barely keeping his head above water right now. I want to be supportive but I'm not sure how.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you don't have to DO anything. his struggle, his solution. he doesn't NEED meds...he is using any stressor as an excuse to use. that is addict thinking. he has to work this out for himself. he's a big boy.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is what I'm thinking. I don't want to DO anything, I just don't know what to say to him at this point.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I know you will work this out", or "You have the tools to handle this - you'll be ok"

I don't know, but I'm thinking about how I try not to rush in to rescue DD12 when she spins out, and what I say that aren't my suggestions. It means so much more for her to find her own solutions.

It must be so tempting to step in, but it's great that you are jealously guarding your OWN well-being during his difficult time.

Good luck RB
Old 02-13-2014, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovered People Pleaser

There is also a difference between dry and in recovery. You don't indicate whether or not he is in a support group. When A's "get sober" it is a lifestyle change. There has to be something to replace the old playmates and playgrounds. My support might be in the form of encouragement for him to seek out a 12-step group, so that he would have a sponsor and a telephone list of contacts of like minded individuals and be surrounded by those who have had success in remaining sober for some length of time.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My Daughter is struggling ..and I believe may have relapsed..but she uses any excuse to do so.....she is married and has a 2 year old..but has decided she wants out of the marriage..sad to say she uses meeting s to meet men...im heartbroken...but cant and wont offer solutions..,,i must leave it in my higher powers hands.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You said the right things. If he's struggling, he has a therapist and a sponsor. Those are the people best suited to help him through...if he wants help.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The HALTS (my counselor said the S is necessary for sick, sad or stressed) acronym comes to mind but I'm not sure if we're supposed to say that to them of if they're supposed to figure that out on their own. Or is that codie and controlling to suggest what they're supposed to do by reminding him of HALT? I think offering him sympathy and love was the best thing you could do. If he's struggling he has all of the tools available to him to cope.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know, I think you said the right things, Readerbaby. As you've said, it is his battle, he has to figure it out. Just knowing you're in his corner, loving and supporting him through it should be all he needs from you. The rest is all him.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a big warm hug.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We don't have to have the right words or solutions for them. Often it's just in listening and acknowledging what they share.

A simple sorry you feel that way is often the only response needed.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Readerbaby71---I think your suggestion to contact his therapist or psychiatrist was just fine. Actually, he has a sponsor, also to take his issues to (or he should), and he can also go to a meeting when he needs extra help. If he starts "dumping" on you--I think it is fine to steer him toward these other sources of help.

Actually, you don't have to say much---just empathetic listening---with occassional "grunts" of empathy should indicate caring to him.....then, direct him to the therapist, psychiatrist, doctor, group meeting or sponsor.

If he persists in excessive "dumping" on you, finding a reason to leave the area would be one way to pull yourself out of the situation.

Early recovery is really, really tough on the non-alcoholic--just as it is for the recovering alcoholic. From my personal experience--as much separation as possible works best.

Actually, I think one year's separation with each working their respective programs should be the gold standard. In a perfect world........

If I had had to live with my adult son in early recovery----I wouldn't have. Thank God he was hundred's of miles away. Even phone conversations were difficult--because of his emotional volatility. I often had to say---I'm going to go....call me again, when you are in a better mood.

dandylion
Old 02-14-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Halts

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
The HALTS (my counselor said the S is necessary for sick, sad or stressed) acronym comes to mind but I'm not sure if we're supposed to say that to them of if they're supposed to figure that out on their own. Or is that codie and controlling to suggest what they're supposed to do by reminding him of HALT? I think offering him sympathy and love was the best thing you could do. If he's struggling he has all of the tools available to him to cope.
I think it is a generally supportive statement to ask him if he needs to eat or just take one thing at a time as he readjusts to working again. When I see HALT issues with my RAH I don't use the term though. You did fine reminding him he has a support system much more expert than you to help him adapt.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

THIS type stuff is Supposed To Be what a Sponsor is for.

He has a Sponsor, right?

And remember if we/they/us/them could do this ourselves we would not need God.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was thinking along the same lines as dandylion - he should be contacting his sponsor with that issue. If you want help, you contact your sponsor. If you want enabling, you contact your enabler.

Good for you for referring him to where he should have gone in the first place.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
I was thinking along the same lines as dandylion - he should be contacting his sponsor with that issue. If you want help, you contact your sponsor. If you want enabling, you contact your enabler.

Good for you for referring him to where he should have gone in the first place.
AND when you are REALLY screwed up . . . You call THEIR sponsor!

Should be a joke, but not really. (like most of my stuff on here)

Knew I had to get serious on me when I figured out I had Mrs. Hammer's Sponsor on Hot-Button-Speed-Dial on my phone . . . and did not even have my Sponsor in phone book.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks, all. I had a I think because him working late at night is triggering me and bringing back bad memories of him disappearing and not coming home for days. Also, text is a horrible form of communication. He DID call his sponsor yesterday. He IS working through it. His text was just a vent. Last night he worked with a guy who didn't do anything but stand around and text so it took them much longer to close and he was pissed on top of really having a hard time emotionally.

We talked about it and all is well. I told him the whole situation was triggering me and he understood. He's going to call his sponsor everyday for a while. He made a good point about having to learn how to deal with people again after almost 10 years of heavy drinking. It isn't easy for anyone, let alone someone who has tuned out for that long. Things are actually going really well for both of us right now but some days are going to be rough. That's life.

I am so used to jumping to crisis mode. Just as he's learning to deal with the people and world around him, I am learning to deal with the new dynamic we're trying to form in our relationship.

I am not going to beat myself up. My perception was my perception and even though I tried to look at the reality of the situation my thinking was clouded by assumptions and emotion. Time to learn from it and find a better way so I don't REact so much.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
Thanks, all. I had a I think because him working late at night is triggering me and bringing back bad memories of him disappearing and not coming home for days. Also, text is a horrible form of communication. He DID call his sponsor yesterday. He IS working through it. His text was just a vent. Last night he worked with a guy who didn't do anything but stand around and text so it took them much longer to close and he was pissed on top of really having a hard time emotionally.

We talked about it and all is well. I told him the whole situation was triggering me and he understood. He's going to call his sponsor everyday for a while. He made a good point about having to learn how to deal with people again after almost 10 years of heavy drinking. It isn't easy for anyone, let alone someone who has tuned out for that long. Things are actually going really well for both of us right now but some days are going to be rough. That's life.

I am so used to jumping to crisis mode. Just as he's learning to deal with the people and world around him, I am learning to deal with the new dynamic we're trying to form in our relationship.

I am not going to beat myself up. My perception was my perception and even though I tried to look at the reality of the situation my thinking was clouded by assumptions and emotion. Time to learn from it and find a better way so I don't REact so much.

You're both learning. My husband's counselor said he still calls his own sponsor every day. It's how he starts his days - good, bad or anywhere in between.

Do you have a sponsor? I haven't found one for myself. Reading this thread I realize I need to. It'd be easy to have the codie feelings, even if I was trying to step back from it.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post

You're both learning. My husband's counselor said he still calls his own sponsor every day. It's how he starts his days - good, bad or anywhere in between.

Do you have a sponsor? I haven't found one for myself. Reading this thread I realize I need to. It'd be easy to have the codie feelings, even if I was trying to step back from it.
See, I have a sponsor but I feel like I'm bugging her if I call her a lot. To be honest, so far I've just been texting her and waiting for her to call me. I know that is not how the program is suppose to work!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

RB, I think you are doing great and that was the perfect response. The thing we have to learn is that we are too tied to the situation to be of much help except to do just what you did, kindly remind him he can do it and to utilize his therapist and sponsor.

You are doing great!

Tight Hugs!