Made a hard phone call

Old 02-13-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made a hard phone call

I made one of the hardest phone calls today. I called my folks and my stepmom, who I love dearly, answered. I told her I had something very hard to tell her and that its something that has been a problem for a very long time and I've kept a secret. I told her I am going to alanon because my husband has been an alcoholic for a long time and Ive just come out of my denial. I told her about my talk with AH Dec. 31st and that if things didn't shape up I would be leaving him. She was so open, caring, understanding, and nonjudgmental that I broke down in tears. She said a beautiful prayer over me then told me they would be there for me if I needed anything. I should have told them a long time ago for the support I now know they would give me. At the same time, I know I wasn't ready to do it until today. Boy, did this unleash a floodgate of emotions. I just hope my husband doesn't come home and see me like this.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am so so so proud of you!!! To step out of denial is an amazing thing that will widen your support system. I am glad they were so supportive for you.

God Bless my friend!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Katchie - that is a wonderful step for you to take. I remember the relief of "coming clean" with the secrets & learning how to ask for help. I am so glad you found love & support on the other end of the phone.

You are handling this recovery "stuff" really well!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you did it, and so glad you got the response you did. Having people around you who support you makes everything so much easier. (((hugs)))
Old 02-13-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Katchie---why do you care if your husband sees you cry or sees expressions of emotion from you?? Really.....what is the big deal----after all, you are a human being. It is normal and useful for humans to express their emotions outwardly, at times. So---you are human. That isn't a secret is it.......?

I don't mean this in a sarcastic way, at all......it really is a real question.

kindly,
dandylion
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You're question doesn't bother me so no worries. I don't know the answer to it though. Expressing anger, hurt, or crying has always been private to me. I don't know why. I know its not healthy and creates a lot of anxiety for me, but its just so HARD for me to do. Even when my grandparents, who I was very close to, and my mother passed away, it was hard and shameful feeling to cry in front of others. I wish I had an answer to that.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you Katchie!!

I was just going to "check in" on you.
Maybe your day be blessed and all that "weight" that we co's tend to carry, be lifted.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Amazing Katchie. The strength it took to do that cannot be overlooked. So proud of you.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

my dad couldnt resist calling me back to talk about my situation. I knew he would do this, he's just that way. He likened the possibility of me divorcing my AH to the divorce of he and my mother. I told him not to compare what my mother did to him to what was going on with me -- its totally different. As I shared more with him, he backed down and said he was supportive.
I've just kept such good appearances that no one suspected. Anyone who knows my H loves him. He has one of those personalities. I really hate ALL aspects of this and what it does to me, my kids, our family ....
Old 02-13-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sending you hugs and prayers of support, katchie. Addiction thrives in secrecy...part of healing, in my experience, is getting it out into the open.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow, Katchie! You're making so much progress lately I'm glad your stepmom was supportive!