It's amazing what happens.....

Old 02-13-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's amazing what happens.....

When we change our attitudes about ourselves and life. Last night I was sitting on the couch when I got home from work after an 11-hour day on four hours sleep. My mind was wandering and I started thinking about my ex husband and how I should have tried to work it out instead of being selfish, blah blah blah. He is a great guy and we parted on good terms, but after we got divorced he did and said some things that really hurt me. I've held a lot of resentment toward him since then.

I was sitting there thinking about it and all of a sudden I got this little twinge in my heart. A good twinge. I felt that it was my heart opening to have compassion for him and to let go of the anger. It was incredible. A true spiritual awakening which are few and far between for me. I have always wanted to cultivate my spirituality but it just never seems to stick.

I have been meditating and studying Buddhism more in depth than I have in the past. Really trying to let go of the things I can't control and focus on those I can. After I sat for a while I checked my email and here was a video of a short talk by Pema Chodron, a Buddhist nun who has written many books on all kinds of topics. Her wisdom has changed my life. The talk was only five minutes long and I wanted more so I went on youtube and did a search. The videos of her were not great, but a talk on forgiveness by Jack Kornfield came up. I like him a lot too. He's a great speaker. It was about an hour long and encompassed so many facets on how to forgive and find compassion for others and ourselves. Too many to even get into here.

At the end there was a 15-minute guided meditation. By this time my BF had come home from his meeting. He had another rough day yesterday, and his negative attitude had been getting on my nerves, but he made dinner as I watched the video, and came and sat on the couch during the meditation. It was so calming and enlightening. I don't really know how it affected him, but I sense a significant shift in myself and the way my mind works.

Buddhism not only helps to feed our souls, it provides real tools for changing our minds and behaviors and awakening the true spirit of compassion and helping others without compromising our health and happiness.

When I woke up this morning I got an email from an editor telling me that the magazine is going to submit two of my articles for the Pennsylvania Press Club Awards. I am stunned, elated and overwhelmed with gratitude. I'm also extremely proud of myself in a way that I've never been before. It is true that the law of attraction works! Thinking "I WILL DO THIS, I CAN DO THIS" and focusing on the positive can bring absolutely amazing things into your life.

I know I will still have hard days and life has its ups and downs, but I feel this truly is a new beginning for me. SR is one of the reasons why. Thank you so, so much for your love and support. The people on this board have truly helped me on the road to recovery and changed my life.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When you're in the thick of the sickness, good things feel so far away. After dragging yourself though it, sometimes it feels like you could pluck a star out of the sky if you wanted to. Your recovery is looking good on you.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome, awesome post RB. You are such an inspiration to me in the way you approach recovery. I am just starting a book that someone here recommended (Maybe you?): "It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness". It looks like a great way to introduce myself to the subject/basic principles.

I hope your day continues to go so wonderfully!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Readerbaby, I love reading your posts! Congratulations on the nominations for your articles.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You guys are making me tear up. I admire all of you so much.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

RB....Congrats!!! I am so so excited for you, that is wonderful news! What an honor.

I am also so proud of your progress. I strive for calm in my own world, maybe i need to look more into meditation also!

Tight Hugs my friend!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

readerbaby-----I am in the midst of doing a little "Church Lady" dance in your honor.

dandylion

p.s. "Church Lady" refers to a character done by Dana Garvey on Saturday Night Live.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dandylion...I always love your little animations in your posts....they are perfect!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love the Church Lady.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
..... a talk on forgiveness by Jack Kornfield came up. I like him a lot too. He's a great speaker. It was about an hour long and encompassed so many facets on how to forgive and find compassion for others and ourselves. Too many to even get into here.

At the end there was a 15-minute guided meditation. By this time my BF had come home from his meeting. He had another rough day yesterday, and his negative attitude had been getting on my nerves, but he made dinner as I watched the video, and came and sat on the couch during the meditation. It was so calming and enlightening. I don't really know how it affected him, but I sense a significant shift in myself and the way my mind works.
RB - do you have a link to the talk you referenced here?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
RB - do you have a link to the talk you referenced here?
Sure.

Jack Kornfield: The Ancient Heart of Forgiveness - YouTube
Old 02-13-2014, 07:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are an inspiration RB. I love your posts and you have so much strength and wisdom to share. You and everyone here have helped me. In some ways I feel SR has saved my life.

Congratulations on the nominations! As a former journalist myself, I am super excited for you.

Your approach to recovery, and things in general, is eye opening to me. It is also spiritually a helpful post because it reminds me it's ok to opine (NOT pine lol) and remember our past loves, and what we learned from those situations. I won't go on and on about it, but the last healthy relationship I had is one I used to ruminate about and kick myself for choosing to end it when I thought things got tough and our goals simply did not align. I think it took me 2 years of grieving about her. At some point, I got that twinge you talk about and when I think about her, I think only of her goodness and am so proud of her for moving where she wanted to move, and getting the degrees she wanted.

Thanks for this post today.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

RB, what a great post, and I am SO happy for you! You've come a long way, so inspiring when I feel myself sagging...

The Buddhist viewpoint is a helpful one, isn't it? I had been attending a Buddhist 12-step meeting and found it very useful but had to stop when I changed jobs.

((((Hugs))))!!!!!