Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

So I am weirdly, excessively upset about Philip Seymour Hoffman...

Old 02-03-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When I saw the news of his death yesterday, I literally started to cry. And I am NOT one to cry about the deaths of celebrities. I am sad when public figures die, as I am generally sad when ANYONE dies. But this man, even though he HAD spoken in the press about his addictions in the past, had really flown under EVERYBODY'S radar in terms of addiction and how bad things were. It was a very harsh, in-my-face reminder of how isidious and cruel the disease of addiction is. By most accounts this was not a man who was caught up in the trappings of celebrity and fame. We are not hearing the stories that we heard about other famous addicts (Lindsay Lohan, Heath Ledger, etc.) regarding the army of enablers that surrounded them. It's anybody's guess what went on in PSH's private life, who enabled him, what path his addictions took. At the end of the day, I am just sad to see addiction claim yet another human being, and leave more children without a father, and blaze a path of emotional destruction through the lives of his friends, colleagues and loved ones.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree. Another life addiction has robbed away. Very very sad.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. This has made me upset and anxious. You put it well. I guess it's because he was successful and "flew under the radar," like you said. He wasn't living a wild and crazy life and getting in all kinds of trouble. It seems more shocking that way -- and more scary to those of us with addicts/alcoholics in our lives. I enjoyed him as an actor, but I think my reaction is about more than that. It has hit home.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah that definitely struck a chord. Like Bluebelle said he wasn't living the wild and crazy life (at least in public) and what an actor! He had real talent. Here's a guy that's probably twice as smart as me and lord knows what kind of financial resources to fight his addiction, and he's gone.

I am lucky to be here.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I felt the same way. Also, something that I've thought about quite a bit lately, given a person I've become friends with, is how we can sit in our little shabby apartments and go to a half-crappy job and think how much easier those have it who have money and jobs that play right into their passion...

... and yet, they suffer the same pain we do. And for them as for the addicts in our lives, disaster can be just one relapse away.