gratitude

Old 02-01-2014, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

gratitude

I'm having a tough time today, so taking a deep breath and making plans how to work on me tomorrow. (yes, and tonight)

Start and end the day with prayer.

Gratitude list -- book ideas about gratitude would be very welcome!

Change up my day to do something very different. I've been wanting to take photos of ice fishing at the lake, so either that or something else that's just for me.

Make lots of time to play with our son and laugh out loud. I need this just as much as he does.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Any positive tips you have for me are welcome, or just adding what you've been doing for yourself lately!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovered People Pleaser

I have my own "Serenity Notebook" It is a 3 ring binder in sections that has sheet protectors. I use this as a tool to work the 12Steps with. It is most definitely a part of my 11th Step work. (The 11th Step is a positive experience in it's own accord.)

There is a section called lists where I Keep a gratitude list. I suggest to sponsee's they make this list at a time when they are upbeat and happy if at all possible. It incudes the at least 10 Things I am grateful for.

I also have a section for images-these include pictures of Nature, cute animals or sunsets or anything that brings a calming smile to my face.

I have a dedicated space for Prayer and Meditation (Step #11) I usually spend 10-15 minutes at the start of my day, with a cuppa coffee in hand in this space. This is where I keep that notebook (referenced above) My daily readers, a cd player a selection of upbeat sing along music (I make my own CD's for the most part) and some incense and scented candles for aroma therapy.

I start my day here, with the Serenity Prayer..which clears my mind. I meditate on a concept, inspirational quote (another section in my notebook), read from one of the daily readers and then play a bit of music and sing and even dance (yes, by myself) while I sip on cup #2. It is hard to be sad, mad or otherwise negative and sing a happy song, at the same time.

I have had several situations come into play all at once and some that I have known were coming (like increasing my involvemen & Time spent in my elderly parents care..Dad is 87 with Alzheimer's & Parkinson's, Mom is 85 and just went through Cancer Surgery (I'm an only child & they live in a rural town about 1.5 hr from my home)) so I have to make a special effort to be positive and keep my thoughts and energy in the right direction. But the good news is that is becomes a habit

Today I am thankful for the skills that I have that can get me through difficult times.

I am Thankful for the positive results of my Mom's Surgery. I am Thankful that I have a husband who understands the duty I have to my parents and supports my efforts. I am thankful that my God is merciful and understanding with me even when I act a fool and as always... I am grateful spiders don't have wings.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Things that give me a pick-me-up:

Making my daughters laugh - I actually pretty much live just to hear them both laugh, best sound on the planet.
Hot cup of coffee or a giant iced tea (I think caffeine really gives me a mood boost.)
Going for a run or a walk
Playing at the park with my daughters
Being at the ocean, only a 30 minute drive for me and my toddler loves playing in the sand.

Do you watch Biggest Loser? A few seasons ago there was a woman, Abby Rike, on the show who lost her husband, 5 year old and weeks old baby in a car crash. A drunk driver hit her family head on and killed them instantly. After losing her family she ate her feelings, subsequently went on Biggest Loser and then wrote a book about her life. Her story inspires me to appreciate everything I have. Maybe not the traditional gratitude book you were looking for but it's definitely inspiring and makes me count my blessings.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sledding with my boys. Playing Legos if it's too cold to go outside. Writing my morning journal pages. Exercise and yoga, though I took this last week off due to a bad head cold. I'm grateful for Mucinex and hot tea this week. I'm grateful for the Goodwill dollar sale, because now I have a fab new wardrobe.
Sounds like you're on the right track ktf, just be true to your screen name and good things will come. And you'll start noticing the ones that were already there. Great thread, I needed this. Thanks.