Courage To Change 02/01/2014

Old 02-01-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 02/01/2014

I thought that if I stopped enabling the alcoholic in my life, the drinking would stop. When the drinking seemed to get worse instead of better, once again I thought I had done something wrong. I was still trying to control alcoholism and its symptoms. Al-Anon helped me to learn that I am powerless. I cannot stop and alcoholic from drinking. If I choose to stop contributing to the problem, I do so because it seems to be the right thing to do, something that will help me to feel better about myself.
When I change my behavior, the behavior of those around me may also change, but there is no guaranty that it will change to my liking. Today I am learning to make choices because they are good for me, not because of the effect they might have on others.

Today's Reminder

It is hard to stop acting as I have in the past. But with Al-Anon's support, I can be the one to break the pattern. I can choose to do what I think is right - for me.

"You have to count on living every single day in a way you believe will make you feel good about your life…"

~Jane Seymour