SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   A simple word (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/321371-simple-word.html)

Skymitchg 01-31-2014 04:07 PM

A simple word

Does anyone else have a word or a phrase that their a says that sends you over the edge?
I do......what
Such a simple word.. I don't mind when anyone else says it... But when ah says it now it instantly makes me furious! What what what. I will be going about my business and he will come up and say what in an accusitory tone. He will follow me around and say what. I'll be reading a book and he will look over and say what. My answer... Nothing... Every time ... Nothing or walk away. Stop asking me what!!!!its driving me nuts! And besides that if u don't know "what" then you have lost more brain cells than I thought. Does he really want me to tell him??? Nooooo cuz it is a waste of my breath and won't change anything.... So what is my word... What's yours?

spiderqueen 01-31-2014 04:18 PM

"Absolutely".

For some reason, this is his favorite word when drunk, and so when I hear it, I know to hang up quick. Weird.

blake1989 01-31-2014 06:57 PM

She had a few favorite phrases but this was the one that seemed to signal a bad night:

'You don't even know'

Stung 01-31-2014 06:59 PM

"Tell me what I did."

You know what that really means? I'll translate, it's drunk for "give me some ammo. I'm gonna fight you, because whatever you say next is WRONG!"

Edited to add: I usually follow that up with, "nope. This conversation is done. Bye."

kflee 01-31-2014 07:10 PM

I am RA and I drove my husband nuts when I would say "here it goes" in very sarcastic tone. Like as if I knew why I was getting scolded or why he is upset, but that I am not at fault. I was saying that every morning last few months before sobriety. It sounds silly when words come out of mouth now.

BoxinRotz 01-31-2014 08:07 PM

Early on, I used to ask him, Are you drinking? And he'd say, You want me to?

ARGH!

Then later on instead of asking (because my dumbass knew) I'd say, You're drinking. And he'd say... No I'm not... you want me to?

I hate hearing that dumb crap so I stopped asking and insinuating! :D lol

healthyagain 01-31-2014 08:21 PM

"go do your thing/stuff"

and the cussing

But it used to send me over the edge. Not anymore.

Pia 01-31-2014 08:46 PM

I didn't mean to do it

Yurt 01-31-2014 09:38 PM

"Lighten up."
I guess, because I am such a twit and can't tell when he is just "kidding"

Ifnotforgrace 01-31-2014 10:10 PM

BoxinRotz-You sure made me smile...we may share an ex

Mine used to come home drunk, singing, drop his house key a time or two, stagger in the door and I...(like an Idiot) would say "Where have you been?" and he would get this mule eating briars grin on his face..look at me and slur out "SEVERAL places" and my blood pressure would rise every time..

MsJojo 01-31-2014 10:48 PM

" its ok for you, I have to work to pay for your child care"
This is when he's disappeared for ages and is still pretending to be doing some fancy work thing - made up conference anyone?
The reason that it triggers me is that a) he's not at work and is in fact putting his job at risk
b) I work in a role that is equal in pay/ status ( hence needing childcare) and look after my daughters as a single parent for every other waking moment
c) I'm a grown up, I'm not the one needing childcare!:gaah

PippiLngstockng 02-01-2014 01:13 AM

"Tell me what I can do NOW so I can fix it"

Don't make ME tell YOU what to do, xah!!! You figure our your next steps, and I'll figure out mine! You are not my problem to solve!

I am more interested in me, thank you very much :)

theuncertainty 02-01-2014 01:47 AM

"I heard you crying again last night. What is it you want?!?"

Because, of course, nothing I'd said before going to bed to cry was listened to at all. And if I was hopeful enough to answer, it'd just start another fight.

jlschultz 02-01-2014 05:57 AM

"whatever".....said by ME way too many times.

dandylion 02-01-2014 06:24 AM

"Relax!!"

Hearing that word could cause smoke to come from my ears.

dandylion

LivingLife4Me 02-01-2014 06:33 AM

I don't think I could post only one.....

Sue

HopefulinFLA 02-01-2014 08:10 AM

Said with a drunken slur "I understand how you feel." What?! No you don't because if you did we wouldn't be having the same repetitive conversation, we'd be on our way to rehab!

DMC 02-01-2014 08:55 AM

Ooh. For me, it was "I'm just exhausted."

Yes, after you drank all night, slept until noon, got up, read the paper, drank, and then slept again all afternoon. Yep, and I was working 80 hours a week and on in-hospital call every 4th night. Now tell me again, who's exhausted???

HealingWillCome 02-01-2014 09:06 AM

"What, you don't trust me?"

KateL 02-01-2014 09:23 AM

It sounds to me like a bit of a persecution complex. My dad used to do it and I think I did as well. Someone only had to look in the wrong direction and my dad would say, "What?"