What are you reading these days?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I just finished Silent Tears: A journey of hope in a Chinese Orphanage by Kay Bratt. It is her diary detailing the 5 years she spent volunteering in Chinese Orphanage while her husband was working in the private sector. Some parts about how the children (especially disabled children) are treated were very difficult to read but I enjoyed reading about the Chinese culture and experiences the family had during their time in China. I'd give it a B, maybe B+.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

JustAGirl - Yes! David Sedaris has written a few really great hilarious books (Me Talk Pretty, Dress Your Family, Engulfed in Flames, Holidays on Ice are a few good ones) however the book before this last one was weird...he's my favorite author and I was really disappointed I wasted my money on it. Some of his books are weird creative writing, others are basically a compilation of his journals. I like his journalistic books, I do not care for his creative writing. And I am dying to see him do a live reading!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Small sidetrack:
Originally Posted by POAndrea View Post
I made a life-changing discovery last week: I can read my kindle in the tub if I put it in a zip-lock bag. Brilliant!
When asked, my sister said her favorite Mother's Day present last year was her husband figuring out to protect her kindle (ziplock!) so she could read it in their sauna. (My youngest nephew was all eye-rolling angst "WHAT!?!?!? It's a ziplock!" My oldest nephew completely got it.) LOL
Old 01-28-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Freaking ziplocks... Seriously, simply brilliant.

One of my favorite authors is Tom Robbins, he is absolutely off the wall and his writing is like very wordy philosophical fiction, often with multiple story lines that don't come together until late in the book. I love the way he plays with words and symbolism though. 'Jitterbug Perfume' is my fave, but he's probably better known for 'Even Cowgirls Get The Blues' because they made a terrible movie about it, lol.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

A ziplock. Wow. I know what I'm doing later.

One of my all time faves is An Invisible Thread. It's nonfiction, just a great uplifting story about how one person really can make a difference.

Wally Lamb is another good author.

I love this thread. I've almost downloaded Silent Tears and the WW2 book several times. I'm getting them now.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

AAAAAHHHHH Tom Robbins!!! He's going to have a new book out in March, I think. Autobiographical (is that a word?)!
I'm excited. I was stumped on what to read, but now I'm heading over to Amazon. Thanks, SR Peeps!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Love this thread. It's gotten me remembering about books I read in the past and enjoyed.

I remember reading "The Moviegoer" by Walker Percy. Loved it, the quirky characters. I read a summary of it and thinking I might read it again since it was so long ago and it doesn't seem memorable to me. Also will look into other books by Walker Percy.

Love all your recommendations. It didn't take much to get back into looking at the self-development books recommended. I used my amazon points to get "Crucial Conversations" and "The Gifts of Imperfection".

Hope I keep balanced though with making time for fiction reads.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

My list has grown exponentially, and I've lost track of who recommended what so thank you to EVERYONE for sharing.

Another one of my read again & again's is Anne Rice..... her Witching Hour triology is mezmerizing to me. Hell, her entire style of writing is a bit hypnotic to me, I always feel like I am IN the story. I re-read them about every 5 years or so.

I also found "Positivity: Top Notch Research Reveals the 3:1 Ratio That Will Change Your Life" which I had forgotten about. It is highly rated & was given to me at a great seminar I attended through our corporate home office last year. One of the presentations was done by one of the higher ups that specializes in positive psychology & he talked about how we can change our world based on changing our perceptions & attitude. (Of course, it circled around to how creating these positive environments can help us to draw in the same like-minded type of clients, minimizing drama & increasing productivity & all around happiness) It was very inspiring but I forgot about reading the book after the seminars ended.

Positivity: Top-Notch Research Reveals the 3 to 1 Ratio That Will Change Your Life: Barbara Fredrickson: 9780307393746: Amazon.com: Books
Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Stoic

If anyone hasn't been there, check out GoodReads
It's a fantastic community, and chock full of any book you can think of. If you're looking for something new to read, you can input the books you've read, etc, and the suggestions it gives can really open you up to new authors and books.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Tom Robbins is abso-freaky-wacky-wonderful! I think Jitterbug Perfume has to be one of my all-time favorites. Must re-read that soon.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hey FireSprite...I too love Ann Rice. As a gift one year my husband got me a signed picture from her.....love it!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I am home sick from work today and decided to pick up a book my dear friend bequeathed me when she moved to New Zealand a year and a half ago. It's called The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas and 75 pages in it is pretty great! A bit challenging at times, but satisfying.

I love this thread! I am an ensemble member at a theatre that does all adaptations of books so I always have reading homework. Who knows, perhaps somewhere in these posts is our next big hit...!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Bumping this thread to say .... my reading shelf is full again, yay!

Also I am adding "And I Don't Want to Live This Life" by Deborah Spungen for anybody that is interested in something a little intense.

I have read this book many times since I was a teen, but it hits me hard every time. It is a detailed accounting of Nancy Spungen's life as told by her mother. Most people know the public story of Nancy as Sid Vicious' damaged & crazed girlfriend & how it culminated in the very public murder of Nancy by Sid, followed shortly by his own overdose.

This telling of Nancy's life starts from her infancy. Her mother shares the horrifying experience of trying to raise a child suffering with mental illnesses at a time when the healthcare industry as a whole was unable to help her properly diagnose & treat in any way during Nancy's lifetime; and how it spiraled further out of control as her drug & alcohol addictions grew.

As a parent, it is truly gut wrenching to read, but I applaud her for being brave enough to put the truth out there.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Bumping this thread to say .... my reading shelf is full again, yay!

Also I am adding "And I Don't Want to Live This Life" by Deborah Spungen for anybody that is interested in something a little intense.

I have read this book many times since I was a teen, but it hits me hard every time. It is a detailed accounting of Nancy Spungen's life as told by her mother. Most people know the public story of Nancy as Sid Vicious' damaged & crazed girlfriend & how it culminated in the very public murder of Nancy by Sid, followed shortly by his own overdose.

This telling of Nancy's life starts from her infancy. Her mother shares the horrifying experience of trying to raise a child suffering with mental illnesses at a time when the healthcare industry as a whole was unable to help her properly diagnose & treat in any way during Nancy's lifetime; and how it spiraled further out of control as her drug & alcohol addictions grew.

As a parent, it is truly gut wrenching to read, but I applaud her for being brave enough to put the truth out there.
I love that book! I read it years ago. So sad. I just finished And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. It was good but my favorite book of his is A Thousand Splendid Suns.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Just came across the Laundry List for Adult Children of Alcoholics. Man could I relate. I am an alcoholic (sober a few years) married a still active alcoholic (drinking about 9 years) and just realized that the ACoA is TOTALLY me, even though my parents were not alcoholics (my mother was bi-polar). Anyway, I bought the Big Red Book from the Adult Children of Alcoholics....amazing!!!! How have I missed this fellowship all these years???
Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I have read this book at least six times since I was a teenager. I'm not proud (though not really ashamed either).
Old 03-06-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lyssy View Post
Oh, I love, love, love book threads. It increases my "wish list" by pages sometimes.
Me too!

Finishing The Help (I know, very late with this one!), also reading The Omnivores Dilemma, and Under the Influence (for obvious reasons.)

Have The Book Thief on my Kindle for my next read. Or maybe Gone Girl. Or....so many books, so little time!

NCG
Old 03-06-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I don't remember who recommended Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, but am a little more than half way through and it is EXCELLENT! Completely enoying it.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NorCaliGal View Post
....so many books, so little time!
LOL. Don't I know it.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Let me just say: John Green.

The Fault in Our Stars (book is way superior to the movie that came out a couple of years ago)
Looking for Alaska
Paper Towns

I laughed. I cried. I passed them on to my kids. They're all about young adults and he captures their thinking and way of speaking and their hopes and dreams in a way that was amazing to me. There's lot of pain and tears and death too, just so that you're warned.